Concordia University Chicago was founded in 1864 as a college for teachers and today is a comprehensive university comprising the College of Arts and Sciences, College of Business, College of Education, College of Graduate Studies and College of Innovation and Professional Programs. CUC offers graduate and undergraduate programs, as well as doctoral degrees. The University is affiliated with The Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod and is a member of the Concordia University System, a nationwide network of colleges and universities.
An institution of The Lutheran Church–Missouri Synod, Concordia-Chicago is a private, liberal arts-based university that incorporates Christian values and is grounded in the Lutheran tradition. Our location on a 40-acre suburban campus in upscale River Forest is only 10 miles west of downtown Chicago. This provides opportunities to gain practical experience that supplement classroom learning. The resources of Chicago enrich all areas of our students’ experiences, making real-world connections possible.
- Recognized as a national College of Distinction for engaging students, great teaching, vibrant community, and successful outcomes
- Named for the fourth time to the President’s Higher Education Community Service Honor Roll for volunteering and civic engagement
- Higher Learning Commission (HLC)
- Council for Accreditation of Educator Preparation (CAEP)
- Council for Accreditation of Counseling and Related Educational Programs (CACREP)
- National Association of Schools of Music (NASM)
As a distinctive, comprehensive university of The Lutheran Church–Missouri Synod, centered in the Gospel of Jesus Christ, and based in the liberal arts, Concordia University Chicago equips men and women to serve and lead with integrity, creativity, competence and compassion in a diverse, interconnected and increasingly urbanized church and world.
Rooted in its Christian heritage of engaging knowledge and faith, Concordia University Chicago aspires to be the destination university for all who seek to develop their full individual potential through a distinctive, innovative and dynamic environment of exploration, creativity and discovery for leading lives of servant-minded leadership.
As a Christian university of The Lutheran Church–Missouri Synod, we, at Concordia University Chicago, value:
- Christian Faith
- The Christian faith is an integral part of our community.
- The Individual
- As a member of God’s creation, each person is unique and is blessed with inherent worth.
- We strive for excellence in who we are and what we do.
- Our community demonstrates the accord between our beliefs and practices.
- Recognizing and addressing the needs of others is a response to God’s love for us, and a reflection of God’s love for them.
At Concordia University Chicago you’ll learn from experience as you engage in applied research, service activities, internships, off-campus study throughout the world and more. It’s why our students develop the knowledge, skills, abilities, and versatility to meet the demands of the 21st-century workplace, serve as ethical leaders and pursue opportunities that expand throughout their lives.
Focus on 21st-century knowledge and skills
- A degree from Concordia–Chicago signals to employers that you have learned by taking advantage of opportunities such as internships, applied research, service activities, leadership experiences, and off-campus learning. Your experience at CUC will help you develop the perspective, skills, and abilities that will allow you to keep opening up your life’s possibilities long after graduation.
Personalized guidance from professors and staff
- As a Concordia–Chicago student, you will receive individualized attention that guides you toward a vocation or career path and then sets you up to succeed in it. Our professors and staff provide personalized guidance and support as they help you identify your career interests, master the knowledge and skills required to enter or advance in your desired professional field and establish the connections that will launch you on your way.
Learning with diverse students in a world-class city
- You will have wide-ranging experiences as you learn in community with students of various backgrounds and cultures from around the world. With nearly endless opportunities to get involved in activities on campus, in Chicago and throughout the world, you will have enriching experiences that expand your versatility and open up your future prospects.
A values-based education for leadership and purpose
- Rich in the Lutheran tradition of education, CUC provides you with an educational experience that includes faith enrichment and guidance toward an ethical life of integrity. The spirit of community inspires all of our students—especially those in our church work programs—to meet the needs of the world in which they live, serve and work. You will open up your life to all aspects of meaningful success thanks to the impactful education you will experience at Concordia–Chicago.
This is why you’ll thrive not only during your years of undergraduate study or graduate school at Concordia–Chicago but far beyond—for the entirety of your successful career or vocation and purposeful life.