The People's University
Wawasan Open University (WOU) was established in 2006 with a unique and socially responsible objective – to provide working Malaysians access to quality higher education via Open Distance Learning (ODL) regardless of their educational, ethnic or socio-economic background. The University has spread its wings in September 2013 to offer full-time degree programmes for STPM school leavers and diploma holders at its Main Campus in Penang.
As the people’s university, WOU believes in providing education and lifelong learning opportunities to all people for self-enrichment and professional advancement. By opening the door to tertiary education, WOU ensures that more Malaysians are now able to pursue an affordable degree.
Wawasan Open University (WOU), one of Malaysia’s foremost, private institutions of higher education, was founded in 2006, with a commitment to the expansion of opportunities in higher education, and to teaching excellence aimed at increasing the level of knowledge and scholarship among all Malaysians. We offer open distance learning (ODL) to enable working adults to pursue their educational dreams without disrupting their professional and personal commitments, and affordable on-campus full-time degree programmes in Penang for school-leavers and diploma holders. We equip our students with industry-relevant knowledge and skills that serve them incredibly well in today’s competitive work environment.
WOU course material is prepared and delivered by exceptionally qualified staff from industry and academia. Tutorials are delivered in English and we offer foundation courses in English to strengthen basic competency, as well as courses on communication in the workplace, English for the Workplace and writing skills for university studies for enhancing proficiency.
All WOU programmes are fully approved by the Malaysian Ministry of Higher Education (MOHE). To date, 35 out of over 50 programmes offered by WOU have received full accreditation status by the Malaysian Qualifications Agency (MQA); and out of the 35 accredited programmes, 13 have received recognition from the Public Service Department (JPA) following the graduation of its first batch of students.
Our Vision, Mission & Values
We aspire to be a vibrant learning community that inspires learning, supports innovation and nurtures all-around personal growth.
We commit ourselves to the expansion of opportunities in higher education and to teaching excellence aimed at increasing the level of knowledge and scholarship among all Malaysians.
We believe that you have the potential to develop to the fullest, in line with the cherished noble values that we all share. We believe in:
Upholding high institutional standards
- We provide lifelong learning and personal development opportunities for everyone. To this end, we ensure open admission and access to all.
- We believe in providing an innovative, comprehensive academic programmes that offer you top quality instruction, high institutional standards and a broad range of educational opportunities.
Celebrating the diversity of our students
- At Wawasan Open University, we believe that your achievements, talents and heritage contribute significantly to our community. We support your right and responsibility to take an active role in the learning process to make your learning experience a productive one.
- Honesty and integrity in the teaching, learning and advisory process are essential, and an objective evaluation of your skills and abilities is key to your success. At Wawasan Open University, we celebrate the diversity of our student communities and we are positive you will find the experience personally enriching.
Recognising our employees
- We believe in recognising the value and expertise of our employees, fostering mutual respect and upholding their rights. As an equal opportunity employer, Wawasan Open University provides a supportive environment that helps employees attain the right balance between their working lives and their personal commitments.
- We recognise the right and responsibility of our employees to play an active role in their professional development as they strive for excellence. We help them in this process by creating an honest and transparent decision-making process.
Valuing citizens and the community
- To live up to the trust placed in us by our sponsors, our students, and private donors, we are committed to the responsible management of our financial resources.
- We aim to contribute to the educational, economic, human resources, technological, socio-economic and cultural development of the nation while preserving ecological sustainability.
Academic freedom and fairness
- We believe in academic freedom and the free and honest exchange of ideas.
- We aspire to the highest academic integrity and in providing equal rights, equal access and equal treatment where learning opportunities are concerned.
What is Open Distance Learning?
Our unique ODL approach is ideal for adult learners who seek to pursue tertiary qualifications for professional development and self-enrichment in a flexible and affordable manner, regardless of their previous educational, ethnic or socio-economic background. More than 16,000 working professionals in Malaysia have, to date, experienced the learning opportunities at WOU while they continue in their jobs.
- Face-to-face tutorial sessions (five or more per semester), with highly qualified tutors who are also readily available to you between tutorials via phone and email.
- Comprehensive course materials
- Access to our e-library
- Our Learning Management System (LMS), an online platform for input information and for online discussions/forum with your peers, tutors and course coordinators
It doesn’t matter where you live. You have the flexibility to study at your home or workplace, and also our regional centres/support centres in Penang, Ipoh, Johor Bahru, Kuching, Kuala Lumpur, Bandar Utama and Klang, where we offer computer facilities if you do not have your own.
You may study for a single course without committing yourself further. Alternatively, you may take several courses one after the other until you have obtained a qualification. You may even take a break between courses if you need to.
You have the flexibility to choose the optimum number of credits to take each semester to suit your personal, work and study commitments
We offer 45 ODL programmes at diploma, graduate and postgraduate level, in business, technology, education and liberal studies, including six MBA programmes.
This school offers programs in: