Asia School of Business - in collaboration with MIT Sloan School of Management
The Asia School of Business is located in Kuala Lumpur and was established in 2015 by Bank Negara Malaysia in partnership with MIT Sloan School of Management (MIT Sloan). It merges the power of Asian ambition with the best in Western education to produce the world’s future change-makers, innovators and entrepreneurs through an 18-month, MBA program.
The ASB MBA program delivers a curriculum deeply interconnected with management practices and integrated with the rigor and values embedded in the MIT Sloan School MBA program. The program fosters entrepreneurship, innovation, and hands-on-learning through an active interaction among industry, government, faculty and students. Students will have the chance to master state-of-the-art management tools and obtain deeper understanding of global business dynamics. At the same time, immense exposure to the fascinating reality and growing opportunities of Asia is provided.
Highlights of the ASB/MIT Sloan collaboration include:
- Action Learning Projects
- MIT Sloan delivered core curriculum
- Focus on Entrepreneurship and Innovation
- An 18+ month full-time general management core curriculum taught by MIT Sloan faculty and ASB resident faculty at our state-of-the–art campus in the heart of Kuala Lumpur
- A practical learning, concept-based Action Learning curriculum that includes a series of projects with multi-national corporations, institutions, and entrepreneurial enterprises from across Southeast Asia
- An emphasis on graduate employability that builds on developing capabilities in business analytics, leadership, teamwork, and communications, as well as innovation and a bias for entrepreneurial action
- A four-week residential program on the MIT Sloan campus in Cambridge, Massachusetts, in combination with a two-week U.S. “industry trek
- The ASB MBA founding class, which matriculated in August 2016, is defined as exceptional and unconventional! Coming from 6 continents, and 12 countries, speaking over 20 languages, our students have impressive academic backgrounds and work experience in over 26 industries.
Distinguished professors from MIT Sloan School as well as professors and practitioners who have profound expertise in Asian economies deliver the program. A world class curriculum that combines analytical tools across the spectrum of management practices with in-depth case studies, collaborative projects, field trips, action learning projects, and discussions with industry and institutional leaders promises to grant a world class educational experience.
Asia School of Business has an extensive and significant number of collaborations and partnerships with corporations and organizations in the region through:
- Action Learning projects that are relevant to the partners,
- Research collaboration on current problems, and
- Internship opportunities where students may work on ongoing projects.
ASB provides executive education offerings and will become a forum and a platform for corporations to discuss business issues. Corporate partners will have the possibility to nominate prospective students, and recruit from our MBA graduates.
Presence of corporate partners:
CIMB Group is a leading ASEAN universal bank, the largest Asia Pacific (ex-Japan) based investment bank and one of the world's largest Islamic banks. Headquartered in Kuala Lumpur, it offers consumer banking, wholesale banking, Islamic banking and asset management products and services. As the fifth largest banking group in ASEAN, the Group has over 40,000 staff in 18 locations across ASEAN, Asia Pacific and beyond.
Petronas is a fully integrated energy company with a leading portfolio and wide network of operations around the world. With growing demand for energy, Petronas aims to redefine the future of energy with innovative approaches to technology and engineering in order to maximize and deliver sustainable energy for tomorrow.
Khazanah Nasional Berhad is a Malaysian sovereign wealth fund. It is the investment holding arm of the Government of Malaysia entrusted to hold and manage the commercial assets of the government and to undertake strategic investments. It is a leading regional strategic investment house that drives superior corporate performance with high standards of achievement in sectors that are deemed strategic to the Malaysian economy.
AirAsia is the leading low-cost carrier, connecting people and places across 132 routes, spanning over 20 countries. Since 2001, AirAsia has swiftly broken travel norms around the globe and has risen to become the world’s best. AirAsia continues to pave the way for low-cost aviation through its innovative solutions, efficient processes and a passionate approach to business. Together with its associate companies, AirAsia X, Thai AirAsia, Indonesia AirAsia, Philippines’ AirAsia Inc and AirAsia Japan, AirAsia is set to take low-cost flying to an all new high with its slogan, "Now Everyone Can Fly".
The YTL Group is one of the largest companies listed on the Bursa Malaysia. Its core businesses are the ownership and management of regulated utilities and other infrastructural assets, serving 12 million customers in three continents. YTL Corporation's strategy of providing "World Class Products and services at very competitive prices" along with its history of Innovation, has led to the achievement of superior earnings and an enviable track record of creating shareholder value.
This school offers programs in:
Admissions & Requirements
Minimum Work Experience: 2 to 10 years (the Average candidate has 5.9 years); Candidates with only 1 year of experience will be considered if coupled with extensive, internship experience.
English language certificate for the candidates who have studied in English for less than 2 years of their undergraduate degree (preferred not mandatory)
Each student is given an MIT email address, which they can keep after graduation. Graduates become a part of the MIT Sloan Affiliate Network, which provides access to private events and activities.