BUE is Egypt’s major university delivering British Higher Education with students graduating with both Egyptian and UK degrees. It is the largest face-to-face provision of British Transnational Higher Education in the Middle East, leading in Educational Quality, the Student Experience, and Research and Enterprise.
Founded by British and Egyptian government initiatives, the British University in Egypt (BUE) was inaugurated on the 22nd of March, 2006, by their Royal Highnesses the Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall.
The Mission of the BUE Founder was to create a quality educational institution that would produce graduates with the skills and knowledge to contribute effectively to the development of Egypt, the MENA region and beyond. The British system of Higher Education was therefore adopted for the rigour of its Quality Assurance procedures and educational philosophy focusing on the development of graduates with independent learning and transferable employability skills.
The BUE welcomed its first cohort of students in 2005. They began their degree studies on a brand new state-of-the-art campus covering approximately 40 acres (feddans) of land. Environmental concerns were incorporated in the design of the campus. The architectural concept underlying the planning and construction of the campus conveys a traditional British model of buildings used by UK civic universities over a century ago. The columns of the main entrance, the dome over the auditorium and the treatment of windows throughout, carry forward themes that can be found in universities such as Manchester Metropolitan University and the University of Leeds, together with universities forming part of the University of London.
BUE will be highly ranked and internationally respected, making a significant contribution to the development of Egypt and the MENA Region.
Operating on a vibrant 21st Century university campus, offering a modern innovative British style education producing distinctive, highly employable and high calibre graduates contributing to the development of Egypt and the MENA region.
HOW TO THINK NOT WHAT TO THINK
- To provide an academic environment which encourages and draws together research, learning and teaching and engagement with the social, professional and business communities to underpin high-quality academic provision.
- To offer a range of academic programs and a learning environment which is attractive to both Egyptian and international students and which, where appropriate, recognize the requirements of employers.
- To provide responsive academic and learner services which give students the best possible experience of higher education and opportunities to succeed.
- To provide an attractive and accessible university campus environment and range of facilities, both educational and recreational, in the context of a long-term estates strategy.
- To provide a broad student experience, producing graduates who will be equipped with the tools to continue to learn and develop through their careers and social and cultural experiences.
- To be an exemplary provider to business and industry across a broad subject range, offering high-quality expertise to stimulate and support the demand for innovative solutions, knowledge transfer and collaboration in support of economic development.
- To engender a culture across the University which encourages and supports student participation in voluntary, community and employment-based opportunities, including work and placements and new business ventures.
- To foster and build mutually advantageous strategic alliances with other national and international partners, in order to offer a range of well supported demand-led learning opportunities.
- To recognize staff as a primary resource of the University and to promote an environment of mutual respect where staff are valued, motivated and provided with professional development opportunities.
- To attain financial stability, grow the range of income sources supporting the University activities and operate cost-effectively.
Cairo, Cairo Governorate, Egypt