Schools of Medicine and Veterinary Medicine
"Improving Life By Degrees"
Providing quality, affordable medical and veterinary education focused on the success of our students is the foundation of St. Matthew's University. Our faculty and staff are as committed to your dreams as you are, and our small class sizes mean you receive personalized attention.
Since 1997, more than two thousand students have obtained their MD and DVM degrees from SMU. Our graduates have earned residencies and/or permanent licensure in nearly every state in the U.S., Canada, and numerous other countries. Our students achieve exceptional scholastic success, with U.S. licensing examination pass rates comparable to U.S. schools and well above the average of other non-U.S. schools.
SMU is located on the beautiful and safe Caribbean island, Grand Cayman. The island offers a highly developed infrastructure, including three state-of-the-art hospitals, hundreds of restaurants, world-class hotels, and thriving tourist industry. Grand Cayman is an hour’s flight from Miami and has direct flights from many U.S. and Canadian cities.
The St. Matthew's University Difference
What makes St. Matthew's University School of Medicine unique among Caribbean medical schools? Here are the factors that set us apart:
Proven Quality of Education
St. Matthew's University School of Medicine offers students a medical education that is completely focused on the success of our students. The result is a proven quality education.
- Pass Rates: During the four years from January 1, 2014, through December 31, 2017, SMU students had a 97% first-time pass rate on Step 1 of the U.S. Medical Licensing Examination.
- Graduates: More than 2000 successful graduates who have earned residencies and/or permanent licensure in nearly every state in the U.S. as well as in Canada and numerous other countries.
- Residency Placement: Recent residency placements in outstanding programs such as the Cleveland Clinic, the Mayo Clinic, McGill University, the University of Florida, Johns Hopkins, and Duke University. (Click here to view a list of recent residency placements)
- Accreditation: The United States Department of Education recognizes our accrediting body as using standards similar to those used by the accrediting body for medical schools in the United States.
- Licensing: One of only a small number of non-U.S. schools to be approved in both New York and Florida. (Click here for more information on SMU’s credentials)
- Faculty: Highly credentialed, long-tenured faculty, with each holding an M.D. and/or Ph.D. (Click here to see our faculty)
- Clinical Rotations: Premier clinical training sites at top teaching hospitals across the United States, Canada, and the United Kingdom. (Click here for more information)
- Curriculum: Proven, traditional subject-based program, coupled with comprehensive USMLE preparation integrated throughout the curriculum.
Commitment to Student Success
At SMU, we are as committed to your dreams as you are. Throughout your ten semesters with us, we will do everything we can to ensure your success by supporting all aspects of your education and life.
- Low Student to Faculty Ratio: Class sizes are limited to a maximum of 50 students, allowing for close student-teacher interaction.
- Excellent Value: Tuition and fees at SMU are more than 40% below the average of U.S. medical schools.(Click here for more information)
- Eligible for U.S. Loans: SMU is one of just seven Caribbean medical schools approved for participation in the U.S. William D. Ford Direct Loan Program. (Click here for more information)
- Focus on Teaching: Dedicated, talented faculty whose time commitments are focused on teaching and mentoring.
- Skills Training: Unique first semester Student Development Course, offering study skills, exam strategies, peer support, and stress management.
- Center for Learning Enhancement: Offers special faculty reviews and tutoring and student academic coaches. (Click here for more information)
- Center for Excellence in Medical Education: Educational workshops, clinical-pathological conferences, and research in medical education. (Click here for more information)
- Student Mentors: Student mentors understand about adjusting to life in medical school, and are eager to see you succeed.
Location and Facilities
Grand Cayman is not only a beautiful location for our Basic Science campus; it is also one of the safest and most advanced islands in the Caribbean. There is no better place to study medicine.
- Pre-clinical Training: Beginning in their very first semester, SMU students are exposed to clinical shadowing opportunities with Cayman physicians in multiple hospitals and clinics. (Click here for more information.)
- “North American” Infrastructure: As the fifth largest financial center in the world and with a thriving tourist industry, Grand Cayman has a highly developed infrastructure which is very comparable to the U.S.
- Lifestyle: The Cayman Islands enjoy one of the highest per capita incomes in the world. Grand Cayman has hundreds of restaurants, numerous U.S.-style supermarkets, movie theaters, world-class hotels, and many opportunities for diving, boating, and other recreation.
- Safety: Grand Cayman has one of the lowest crime rates in the Caribbean.
- Healthcare: The Cayman Islands has a world-class health care system including three state-of-the-art hospitals, and boasts one of the highest ratios of physicians to its population in the Caribbean.
- Culture: As part of the British West Indies, the Cayman Islands is an English-speaking country that combines British civility, American efficiency, and Caribbean charm.
- Convenience: Grand Cayman is less than an hour’s flight from Miami, and also has direct flights from Atlanta, Chicago, Dallas, Charlotte, Houston, New York, Tampa, Toronto, and other international locations.
- Campus: Modern, state-of-the-art Cayman campus facilities include wireless technology available throughout the bright, air-conditioned classrooms, labs, library, and student lounges.
- Housing: Students live in inviting residence suites with internet access, swimming pools, and easy access to Seven Mile Beach.
To provide students of diverse backgrounds with the opportunity to acquire the medical and clinical expertise needed for a successful career as a practicing clinician, along with the skills and confidence needed to critically evaluate and apply new information.
In order to fulfill its mission, the university’s program is structured around certain ideals which embody its view of the essential qualities of today’s practicing physician. These ideals are defined in the six competencies adopted by the university and summarized below:
- Patient Care: Students must be able to provide patient care that is compassionate, appropriate, and effective for the treatment of illness and the promotion of health.
- Scientific & Medical Knowledge: Students must demonstrate knowledge about established and evolving biomedical, clinical, and associated sciences and application of this knowledge to the practice of medicine throughout the life cycle.
- Lifelong Learning, Scholarship, & Collaboration: Students must be able to examine and evaluate their patient care practices, appraise and assimilate scientific evidence, and use this information to improve their abilities.
- Professionalism: Students must demonstrate a commitment to the highest standards of professional responsibility, adherence to ethical principles, and sensitivity in all interactions with patients, families, colleagues, and others with whom physicians must interact in their professional lives.
- Communication & Interpersonal Skills: Students must display interpersonal and communication skills that foster effective information exchange and build rapport with patients, their families, and professional associates.
- Social & Community Context of Healthcare: Students must demonstrate knowledge of and responsiveness to the larger context of health care and the ability to effectively call on system resources to provide care that is of optimal value to the health of the individual and of the community.
Accreditation and Approvals
St. Matthew’s University School of Medicine is a fully accredited medical school.
St. Matthew’s University School of Medicine’s M.D. program is accredited by the Accreditation Commission on Colleges of Medicine (ACCM), the accrediting body for the Cayman Islands.
Comparability to U.S. Medical School Requirements
The United States Department of Education, via the National Committee on Foreign Medical Education and Accreditation (NCFMEA), reviews the standards that countries use to accredit medical schools. The NCFMEA has determined that the accreditation standards used by the ACCM to accredit SMU's medical program are comparable to those used by the Liaison Committee on Medical Education (LCME), the accrediting body that accredits M.D.-granting medical programs in the United States.
Approved for U.S. Federal Loans
St. Matthew’s University School of Medicine is one of the select international medical schools approved to participate in U.S. Federal Student Aid programs.
Approved by New York and Florida
St. Matthew’s University School of Medicine is one of the few international medical schools with approvals in the key states of New York and Florida. These states mandate institutional review and approval prior to granting access to clerkship opportunities in their respective states. Specifically, the following bodies have approved, recognized, or licensed St. Matthew’s University School of Medicine:
- Approved by the New York State Education Department: In addition to clerkship opportunities, New York approval provides access to residencies in the state. The approval is for a period of seven years, which is the longest term of approval that can be granted to an international medical school.
- Licensed by the Commission for Independent Education, Florida Department of Education
The Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG) identifies St Matthew's University as an approved school in the World Directory of Medical Schools (click here).
St. Matthew's University is a member of the International Association of Medical Science Educators (IAMSE) as well as the Family Medicine Education Consortium (FMEC).
Why Choose St. Matthew's University
Low student to faculty ratio: Smallest class sizes of any veterinary school in North America. Unprecedented levels of faculty support and attention
Best value: Most affordable tuition of any Caribbean veterinary school
Focus on teaching: Dedicated, talented faculty whose time commitments are focused on teaching and mentoring Student mentors: Student mentors to help you adjust to life in veterinary school
Graduate in 3 years: Complete your Basic Science education in 28-months then complete clinical training in US or Canada in just over 3-years
Faculty: Staff with teaching and leadership experience from the top North American colleges
Pass rates: Pass rates on parity with students from US schools
Clinical rotations: Clinical training sites at top North American colleges of veterinary medicine
Recognition: Affiliate membership in the American Association of Veterinary Medical Colleges
Licensing: Fully chartered by the Cayman Islands Ministry of Health Services and Agriculture
West Bay, West Bay, Cayman Islands