Master of Business Administration (MBA) AUM American University of Malta
The Master of Business Administration (MBA) meets the highest international standards and provides graduate students with skills and information valuable for their professional success. During the course, we give you the right tools and assist you in fostering the analytical and critical mindset necessary to fully understand the inner workings of business and corporate culture. MBA students can design and implement convenient solutions to vast drawbacks encountered in any enterprise. The MBA program enables students to experience firsthand any problems and situations by observing them in the context of Maltese international corporate culture.
We have built a multi-disciplinary curriculum that keeps pace with the evolving tendencies of a contemporary market, one strongly impacted by progress in technologies and communication channels that are bringing the world together into one large, global, communal space.
It is this communal spirit that sits at the heart of our MBA program. By working with a team of peers, each of whom brings different experiences and perspectives to the table, as well as faculty members who have an outstanding portfolio inside and outside of academia, you will grow further into your role of knowledgeable and market-savvy leader.
The overall objective of the MBA at the American University of Malta is to impart the necessary knowledge, skills, and competencies required to successfully lead a business in the global economy. Successful managers assume responsibility to design and implement strategy consistent with a firm’s long-term goals, manage costs and profitability, and supervise employees. They are responsible for solving complex problems that involve financial issues, business strategy, organizational design, research findings, legal guidelines, and management of employees. The environment in which successful managers operate is frequently uncertain and subject to difficult constraints. Graduates of the American University of Malta will have the critical thinking abilities and analytical framework to make difficult business decisions that affect multiple constituencies. The course is meant for individuals with an undergraduate degree (MQF level 6) and at least 3 years of work experience.
The course provides a rigorous business education based on a solid foundation in the functional areas of business enhanced with skills in analysis and critical thinking. The curriculum builds on foundational knowledge with the findings of current research, leading to the multi-disciplinary perspective needed to lead a successful business in a global economy.
Graduates will acquire knowledge of the following fields needed to manage a business or non-profit organization:
- Business law
- Operations Management
- Research methods
Graduates will develop the following skills used in managing a business:
- Evaluate strategies and tactics
- Select strategies and tactics
- Identify competitive threats.
- Identify external influences on a business.
- Identify relevant information for budgeting and decision-making
- Apply appropriate statistical techniques to business data in order to make decisions.
- Demonstrate understanding of the fundamental concepts of macroeconomics, including but not limited to financial systems, business cycles, labor markets, monetary and fiscal policy
- Demonstrate understanding of the fundamental concepts of microeconomics, such as supply and demand, elasticity, utility, forms of competition, and market efficiency
- Demonstrate understanding of cash flows, net present value, and capital markets.
- Demonstrate understanding of the legal issues relevant to business, including contracts, liability, fraud, and dispute resolution.
- Demonstrate understanding of the advantages, disadvantages, and feasibility of different approaches to research.
- Demonstrate understanding of different approaches to cost accounting and cost management.
- Use research results to develop new strategies and tactics.
- Design, implement, and evaluate research studies.
- Design appropriate operations strategies and approaches to supply chain management
- Interpret tools of financial accounting such as balance sheets and income statements in order to assess the financial health of a firm.
- Calculate cash flows.
- Estimate demand.
- Estimate the size of a market.
- Calculate Return on Investment.
- Calculate Net Present Value.
- Identify obstacles in a supply chain.
- Identify the firm’s most valuable customers.
- Analyze the competitive environment of a firm to identify strategies for growth
- Develop strategic plans and the means of their implementation.
- Evaluate the performance of employees.
Graduates will develop the following competencies:
- Create innovative solutions to complex business problems.
- Be responsible for activities that affect business outcomes, including but not limited to financial management and reporting, strategy development and implementation, operations, marketing, and employee management.
- Make unbiased decisions that are supported by data rather than gut feelings.
- Comply with professional standards and laws and demonstrate the highest business and professional ethics.
- Create business plans that will create value for the firm and its stakeholders.
- Marketing Director at a worldwide retail chain.
- Chief Business Strategist at a multinational corporation.
- Profitability Analyst for up-and-coming businesses.
Mode of Delivery & Assessments
Assessment methods and policies vary according to each module. In general, foundation and core modules are assessed by written examinations and homework assignments. Advanced modules are assessed by written examinations, homework assignments, and case studies.
The MBA comprises 3 semesters of full-time coursework plus a fourth semester in which a major independent research project is completed.
2-Year Degree Plan Outline
- FIN 510 Financial Accounting
- FIN 520 Economics for Managers
- MGT 550 Organizational Theory
- MGT 560 Marketing Management
- FIN 530 Managerial Accounting
- MGT 610 Research Methods for Business
- MGT 520 Strategic Management
- MGT 501 Business Statistics
- MGT 510 Business Law
- MGT 530 Financial Management
- MGT 540 Operations Management
- FIN 540 Money and Banking
- MGT 620 Research Project
Apply through the online portal on AUM website and upload the required documents.
When applying, make sure the option is "on-campus" or "online"
- Bachelor degree
- transcript and passport
- minimum GPA 2.2
- English proficiency
Minimum Admissions Requirements for this Program
All applicants to any graduate program of study (MQF 7) at the American University of Malta must fulfill the following entry requirements:
- Applicants are required to hold a three-year university degree and 3 years of work experience
- University degree transcripts that show a minimum of 180 ECTS or equivalent.
- Grade Point Average (GPA): Students should have at least a 2.2 CGPA to be admitted. Students with a CGPA of less than 2.2 in their undergraduate degree cannot be admitted to the MBA at the American University of Malta
- IELTS=6.5 or TOEFL=79 or PTE=55 The English language proficiency requirement may be waived only if you are a native speaker of English and you have completed your secondary education in a country where English is the official language and English was the language of instruction where you graduated
AUM reserves the right to request English test results from any applicant.