Keystone logo

Study MBA in Netherlands 2024

Study in Netherlands

Higher Education Schools in the Netherlands

Students can study business in Middelbaar beroepsonderwijs (MBO), which are vocational schools that offer one (assistant training), two (basic vocational education) , three (independent programs) and four (middle management) year programs.

The Netherlands also has applied science universities and research universities offering bachelor's, master's and PhD degrees. Instruction is standardized to conform to the Bologna process and the ECTS credit system. According to Dutch educational policies, 60 credits equals one year of study (full-time) and one credit equals 28 hours of coursework.

Research universities are the only higher education institutions where students can earn a doctorate, the highest degree you can earn in the Netherlands.

Why Earn a Business Degree in the Netherlands?

Consistently ranked as having one of the top 10 educational systems in the world, the Netherlands also has a complex school system regulated by the Dutch Ministry of Education, Culture and Science. Students will receive an excellent education and well-respected degree following completion of a business degree but will need assistance navigating the different levels of vocational programs and which programs to take in order to gain admittance to a university.

How Much Does It Cost to Attend a Vocational School or University?

The tuition fees may vary from one school to another, also depending on course objectives and degree field.

What Kind of Business Degrees are Available in the Netherlands?

Many students choose to pursue a Master's of International Business in the Netherlands because of the rapid growth in the international business industry. Business administration, business management and business finance are other popular degrees available in the Netherlands.

Change currency

Basic monthly living cost

  • Rent in a shared flat

  • Share of utilities

  • Internet subscription

  • Local transportation


Sample lifestyle cost

  • Fast food combo

  • Cinema ticket

  • Pint of local beer


About Netherlands

Officially known as the Kingdom of Netherlands, Nederland (Dutch) is located in western Europe and includes three Caribbean islands in its constituency. Bordered by Germany, Belgium and the North Sea, the Netherlands also shares maritime borders with Germany, Belgium and the U.K.

Amsterdam is the capital of the Netherlands, with Rotterdam and the Hague representing its other primary cities. Respected for being the founding member of NATO, the European Union, the G-10 and the World Trade Organization, the Netherlands is also home to five international courts that are currently established in the Hague.

Although Dutch is the official language in the Netherlands, nearly 90 percent of its citizens speak English, 70 percent speak German and 30 percent speak French.

Visa Requirements

MVV (Provisional Residence Permit) – an entry visa.

VVR (Residence permit) - if you plan to stay in the Netherlands for more than three months, additional to your entry visa, you will also have to apply for Residence Permit (VVR) – an ID card that stands as a study visa.

What type of Visa do you need?

Visa name

MVV (Provisional Residence Permit); VVR (Residence permit)

Price and currency

EUR 311

It currently costs a non-refundable fee of EUR 311 to process an application for an MVV and residence permit for the purpose of studying in the Netherlands. The fees are reviewed twice yearly, and are subject to change mid-year.

Who can apply for the visa?

If you’re a citizen of an EU or EEA member state or Switzerland, you don’t need a student visa or residence permit to stay in the Netherlands.

Non-EU, EEA or Swiss nationals need a residence permit to stay in the Netherlands for more than 90 days – for a shorter period, you only require a tourist visa. There are two documents you need. In most cases, you will need a provisional residence permit (machtiging tot voorlopig verblijf, MVV) to travel to the Netherlands. In addition, you will need a residence permit (VVR) in order to stay in the country.

Citizens of a few countries or people in certain circumstances are exempt from having to apply for a VVR.

You can read more about this here:

Where can you make the application?

education institution

The education institution must apply on your behalf so you need to contact them for details of the procedure. If not, ask for help by contacting the international office (or if you are a researcher, the HR department) of your host institution.


How to make the application?

The visa application procedure is initiated by the university as soon as the student is officially admitted to the study program.

Documents required for the visa application are listed in the letter sent by the university to prospective students. Usually, the following documents are needed:

  • a copy of the first page (identity page) of a valid passport;
  • proof that you can support yourself financially;
  • additional passport-sized photos (size: 35mm x 45mm, see IND requirements in.pdf);
  • proof of tuition fees and visa application payments;
  • proof of accommodation arranged for at least 1 academic year (10 months);
  • for Chinese students, a NESO certificate may be necessary.

Valid proof of a candidate’s financial self-sufficiency can be demonstrated as follows:

  • A letter from the host Dutch institution that mentions your internship fee or trainee stipend.
  • An admission letter from the Dutch university providing details of your student grant, tuition waiver, or scholarship.
  • Your bank account statement with an international bank, indicating enough funds to pay for your proposed expenses in The Netherlands.

When should you apply?

The processing time for your student visa application to the Netherlands is usually one month, although sometimes it can take up to 3 months.

The residence permit is issued for the duration of a student’s study program plus 3 months, up to a maximum of 5 years. If the student wishes to complete a preparatory course, its duration will be added to the visa duration. If the length of the education will take more than 5 years, the residence permit can be extended by one additional year.

There is another condition attached to the validity of VVR. It stays valid provided the student scores 50% of credit throughout the course duration.

Graduates of higher education or university studies (bachelor's, master's, or Ph.D. degrees) can apply for an orientation year for graduates' permit within three years of graduating. This gives you one year to look for employment, during which time you can work without any restrictions or the need for an employer to hold a work permit for you.

Processing time

1 Month

Work opportunities

All international students are permitted to work alongside their studies.

For non-EU and non-EEA students, a work permit is required to work. This permit has to be obtained by the prospective employer on your behalf. Even with this work permit, students can work only for a limited number of hours, i.e. 10 hours a week. They are allowed to work full-time during the months of June, July, and August.

Students from the EU, EEA (except Croatia), and Switzerland do not require a work permit.

Hours per week


Why do you need this type of visa?

Your visa application may be rejected if you are not able to show proof of the required funds, or if you provide incorrect or incomplete documents.