The School of Business and Economics at California State University, Sonoma (Sonoma State University) offers four AACSB-accredited MBA program options:
- Sonoma Executive MBA
- Sonoma Executive MBA in Wine Business
- Sonoma MBA
- Sonoma MBA in Wine Business
The Sonoma MBAs are delivered on a flexible schedule designed for working professionals. Our programs have a 50-50 male-to-female ratio. Students represent various industries, including accounting, energy, government, transportation, alcoholic beverage, consumer packaging, retail consulting, financial services, nonprofit, technology, entertainment, and healthcare, among other sectors.
Return on education:
- 2017 and 2018 graduates of our Sonoma Executive MBA programs reported an average 25% salary increase.
- 45% of 2018 graduates of our Sonoma MBA programs reported receiving a promotion while attending the programs.
More Information: http://web.sonoma.edu/mba
Sonoma Executive MBA
Spanning 17 months, the cohort-style Executive MBA offers a transformative experience that incorporates integrated leadership development and strategic thinking, equipping students with the skills necessary to analyze business situations, and chart and execute strategic initiatives to lead their organization forward. The program’s foci in strategic decision-making, business intelligence, and communication skills, offers students the skillset and confidence to converse and lead on an executive level with all functional areas of a business. Students have the opportunity to embark on a two-week international business consulting trip to improve understanding of how to conduct business successfully in a different culture and economy.
“The complexity of healthcare requires depth of understanding in business, leadership, and innovation. The Sonoma MBA for Executives equipped me with the essentials to succeed as a nurse leader."
- Surani Hayre-Kwan ’14, Director of the Office of Patient Experience at Sutter Health
Sonoma Executive MBA in Wine Business
In 2012, the Wine Business Institute in the School of Business and Economics (SBE) at Sonoma State University in collaboration with the wine industry launched the United States’ first Executive MBA focused on the business of wine. The Sonoma Executive MBA in Wine Business program is offered in two formats: low-residency and campus-based.
- The 17-month campus-based program offers an experience unmatched by any other institution of higher learning. Students have prime access to a world-class wine business education located at the intersection of Napa, Sonoma, and San Francisco. Courses are held in the Wine Spectator Learning Center, an innovative learning space gilded with advanced technology and flexible learning classrooms.
- The low-residency format, known as our Global Executive MBA in Wine Business, comprises four “leadership intensives” in California, Australia, and France, and three-month segments of an online case and project-based learning and faculty mentoring. Students have the rare opportunity to study with our distinguished wine business faculty from across the U.S. and the world.
Students in the Sonoma Executive MBA in Wine Business have the opportunity to embark on a two-week international business consulting trip to improve understanding of how to conduct business successfully in a different culture and economy. They also participate in a weekend leadership sailing training in San Diego Bay with America’s Cup veterans.
“The Sonoma Executive MBA in Wine Business fit my education, career, and family needs. I was living in New York City with my husband and toddler while starting a winery in Napa. Thanks to the expert knowledge of my professors, and the diverse perspectives of my cohort, I graduated with entrepreneurial know-how, greater confidence as a leader, and clarity on how to positively impact our regional wine industry."
- Aimee Chang ’15, Owner of Nine Suns Winery
The Sonoma MBA is designed with a flexible schedule for working professionals. Evening courses nurture students’ potential as they gain practical knowledge and technical skills that can be applied to their business right away. Enrolled students have the option of completing the program on a one-year, full-time, or two-year, part-time basis.
“The Sonoma MBA has a flexible schedule that allowed me to pursue my master’s while working full-time. The program provided dynamic projects that emphasized efficient communication and an understanding of creating and sustaining a business. The best takeaway is the connections that will last a lifetime."
– Ranjot “Ricky” Sidhu ’15, Accounting Manager at Green Toys, Inc.
Sonoma MBA in Wine Business
The Sonoma MBA in Wine Business is the only of its kind in the U.S. and equips students with wine business knowledge and industry-specific tools to deliver results in today's competitive global wine market. Weekday evening courses nurture students’ potential as they gain knowledge and experience to construct and present quantitative analysis. Students also develop leadership and communication skills to manage people ethically and effectively in order to accomplish goals and advance initiatives on behalf of any organization.
“I was making a career change from entertainment into the wine industry, and never had formal business education. The skills that I gained in the program and the numerous connections I made through networking have helped me start my own successful wine business."
- Palmer Emmitt’13, Co-Owner & Winemaker at Emmitt-Scorsone Wines