Masters in Business Administration - MBA
This globally recognised MBA award annually attracts a range of graduate calibre applicants from a variety of commercial, industrial and public sector organisations, often from 15 different countries.
Two features distinguish our awards from those of other universities: these are our vocational relevance and internationalism.
You will experience a challenging and stimulating intensive course in management, with an international perspective, to enhance your personal and career development. To facilitate this you will use, share and reflect upon your experiences alongside other students in your Learning Team. You will be allocated to your multicultural 'Learning Team' during induction. A few Learning Teams are combined to form Tutorial groups, with each having their own personal tutor.
At least 2:2 UK Hons degree or equivalent in any discipline.
Provide evidence of satisfactory English language skills for candidates where English is not their first language, such as:
- IELTS overall score of 6.0 or above (which should include a minimum score of 5.5 for the speaking, writing and listening modules);
- TOEFL overall score of 87 or above; or
- Pearsons overall score of 51 or above.
A booster pre-Masters English Language course is available.
An overall assessment of an applicants' educational background, experience and potential to benefit from the scheme will be made when considering the suitability of a candidate for our MBA programmes. The Business School aims to achieve a mix of student backgrounds which will enhance the learning experience for all. This means that it is no longer necessary for applicants to have a minimum of two years career history, although experience will be beneficial to support their application.
Applicants must demonstrate an appropriate level of qualification and aptitude, and their potential to benefit from the course.
- Globally recognised MBA award
- Vocationally relevant and career enhancing
- Challenging and stimulating intensive course in management, with an international perspective
- Share and reflect upon your experiences alongside those of others in your multicultural 'Learning Teams'
- Integrating the main functional areas through the application of global strategic management
- Business skills of leadership, communication, teamwork and decision-making
- One-week residential (off-campus study trip); costs are covered by course fees
- You can register to apply for a 48-week paid industrial placement, thus enhancing employability. We cannot guarantee placements as it is a highly competitive process and employers have the final say
- Assessments that clearly reflect business contexts
- MBA teaching team awarded ‘Highly Commended’ status in recognition of teaching excellence – Prospects Postgraduate Awards 2013
The overall aim of the MBA is to provide you with a thorough grounding in the principles of both leadership and management, and in the main functional areas of business. The MBA award has therefore been designed to encompass three key themes:
- The performing organisation
- Contemporary and global strategic challenges
- Research in action
Thus in the first teaching block, you will study aspects of Human Resources, Marketing Management, Risk and Financial Analysis and Business Management Research. These core modules are then followed by the application of Global Strategic Management principles and Change Leadership in the second block. There is also the opportunity to choose one module of your choices such as Project Management, Creativity to Innovation, International Finance, and International Supply Chain Management. In the final block, you will be able to develop and investigate a special area of knowledge within a field of your choice for the Masters Dissertation.
Additionally, the ‘soft’ business skills of leadership, communication, teamwork and decision-making are the key focus of the compulsory residential (off-campus study trip). As well, your professional development is supported by the breadth of experience reflected within the cohort of your fellow students to support and encourage personal growth and capability by widening your professional horizons. This is achieved through interactive class discussions, group work and also attending a residential event.
- In the first teaching block you will study modules in:
- The Human Capital Dimension
- Marketing Innovations
- Risk and Financial Analysis
- Business Management Research
In the second teaching block you will study:
- Change Leadership
- Global Strategic Management
- An option module.
Additionally, business skills of leadership, communication, teamwork and decision-making are the key focus of the one-week residential (off-campus study trip).
As the MBA provides exposure to the diverse ideas necessary for success in any public or business organisation, successful students have gone on to enjoy dynamic and rewarding careers in many industries and countries. Some have followed a new career direction whilst others have used their MBA to gain a competitive advantage in their current field and a few have set up their own businesses.
About the School
Since 1914 we have offered vocationally inspired education relevant for the age. Back then our focus was on mining and ceramics. But times have changed and we have too. Now we’re delivering everything ... Read More