The Master of Science in Business Administration (MBA) is a one-year Master’s program taught in English. It has an international focus and is designed to provide you with academic knowledge as well as hands-on expertise, enabling you to be successful in international management positions.
What is the 'Master of Business Administration' all about?
The majors not only deepen the knowledge but also broaden it and offer insight into the selected management domain. In your Master's thesis, you will carry out scientific research into a business-relevant or economic subject. The Master's thesis is the conclusion of your degree course. It gives you the opportunity to display your analytical attitude as well as your ability to synthesize and your oral and written communication skills.
1. INTERNATIONAL BUSINESS MANAGEMENT
The program provides you with an overview of the many different aspects of management of organizations and companies. Are you planning on launching an international business career? Are you eager to work for a company or an organization that operates on an international scale? Do you like international (strategic) management, international strategic decision making, international marketing, entrepreneurship, business processes, and operations? The IBM major is tailored to students seeking a business-oriented, hands-on, critical, and problem-oriented approach to education. Students are challenged to study and work in a multicultural team.
2. BUSINESS INFORMATION MANAGEMENT
For students with a strong interest in the general operation of industrial processes and the related information technology they require. Business information managers lead IT projects and supervise new IT systems. In the world of ICT, three things matter most: the right information shared in the right place with the right people. Students in the BIM major have an eye for both the overall picture and specific details. They have strong social skills and excel at building bridges between users, managers, and technical ICT experts. These are precisely the skills developed in this major. Students in the BIM are interested and, ideally, well-versed in technology, computers, and networks. However, the focus is not on hardware or technical aspects, but on developing and evaluating information systems. There is a high demand in the industry for competent people who are willing and able to think creatively and logically about information systems. You will be trained to find solutions quickly and to explain them clearly to users.
3. INTERNATIONAL RELATIONS
The International Relations (IR) major is embedded in the context of global economics and business life. It takes a practical-analytical approach to the study of multinationals
and is embedded in a sound theoretical framework. It covers international management and marketing techniques as well as international socio-economic analysis and monetary economics. Students in the IR major particularly develop insight into the role of governments in international relations and business. The IR major is built on three international pillars: an economic pillar (what is the economic environment in which an international firm operates?); a business pillar (how does an international firm operate in this environment?); and a political/legal pillar (which political and legal aspects do an international firm have to take into account?).
The master program will be thoroughly reformed in 2018 - 2019.
Our MBA will challenge you to meet and work closely with students from other cultures and nationalities. The diversity of our program is impressive.
We invite international managers and government officials to share their experiences with students at guest lectures and business seminars held throughout the year.
In the heart of Europe
Learn business where business is done! Brussels is the economic heart of Europe. As a business hub, Brussels has a central position in Europe and it hosts the EU and the NATO, as well as diverse range of international trade and finance organizations.
Brussels is where hundreds of multinational corporations have their head offices and where many important political and economic decisions are made. Your campus is in the middle of this decision-making center: a head-start for launching your career.
The campus is located in the heart of Brussels, only a five-minute walk from Brussels Central train station, with several metro (underground) connections in the immediate vicinity.
Our MBA's interdisciplinary approach prepares you to address and solve business problems by drawing on insights and experiences from multiple disciplines and perspectives - often as a member of a team. In this way, the MBA emulates the real business world and leverages input from a multitude of cultural backgrounds and worldviews.
The Master of Business Administration is international not only in focus and content but also regarding student population. As the language of instruction is English, students from all over the world attend, which allows for intercultural interaction on a daily basis.
If you haven't had the chance to study abroad before, or if you want to have another international experience under your belt, you can add an extra semester abroad to your program. In that case, apply for a place at one of our many European partners or more limited set of non-European partners. Eligibility and selection depend on your study progress, academic results, your language proficiency, and motivation.
More information is available on the 'International aspects' webpage.
Application deadline for 2018 - 2019
- 1 March 2018 (for non-EEA citizens)
- 1 June 2018 (for EEA citizens)
KU Leuven uses an online application system. You can download and submit your application form via www.kuleuven.be/aplication. Students with a Flemish degree can consult www.kuleuven.be/studentenadministratie.
Visit the prospective students' website for more information.
More useful information about the program is available here.
The current tuition fee is €906.10 for EEA students and €1,750 for non-EEA students. The tuition fee for the 2018-2019 academic year will be determined in the spring of 2018. Please consult the website for the most recent information: www.kuleuven.be/tuitionfees.
This is an initial master's program and can be followed on a full-time or part-time basis.
Is this the right program for me?
As an MBA graduate, you marshal a wide range of knowledge that can be successfully applied to launch a career in international business. Depending on your interests and career goals, positions in purchasing, sales, marketing, production control, planning and budgeting, financial management and ICT are all open to you. Other graduates find employment in banks and insurance companies, join the civil service or one of the European institutions, or start their own company.
Thanks to your general business background combined with your specialism you as a business administrator can work in a wide range of positions at companies and organizations. The international character of your degree program is an asset.
The International Business Management major prepares graduates for management positions in finance, administration, and commerce. Employment opportunities are numerous and diverse. Many graduates choose to pursue a career in the financial sector or in management consultancy firms.
The Business Information Management major prepares graduates for management positions in ICT. The demand for driven managers with ICT expertise continues to grow. Our graduates go on to positions as business consultants, business process engineers, project leaders, system analysts, functional analysts, information analysts, system designers/administrators, network and data administrators.
The International Relations major prepares graduates for management positions in international organizations, NGOs, government, multinational enterprises and local organizations with a global perspective. Graduates have keen insight into international economic and political realities and are thus also well-positioned for careers in banking and international business.
The student is formed academically and able to develop and implement business solutions, through analytical and synthetical reasoning within the actual globalizing economic and societal context. Furthermore, he/ she is capable to be of additional value on the level of business-oriented research. The graduate, who builds upon the obtained results of the bachelor:
- Has concerning the chosen specialization advanced knowledge and insights in the concepts, principles, and reasoning of the chosen specialization and can relate these to the general managerial framework.
- Can give as an expert, from the insight and knowledge of his specialization - and the familiarity with the general business organization, processes, and strategies - purposefully and scientifically funded advice with critical attention to the broad frame of business, the environmental factors, and the relevant public players.
- Can organize, plan and monitor business processes from a business contextual perspective.
- Can estimate, on the basis of knowledge and insight in societal, international and organizational developments, estimate the impact of it on business and deal with it in a professional and adequate way.
- Is able, to support (management) decisions, to select the appropriate research methods and techniques for the chosen specialization on a scientific funded reasoning and use them with attention for the applicability in a specific business context.
- Is able to collect and analyze purposefully and responsible information and data and employ it in solving managerial problems within the chosen specialization.
- Is able to devise a business-oriented research project within the specialization, schedule and execute it on the level of a beginning researcher.
- Demonstrates management and business skills and can translate these into a business context and implicate the social ethical and durability aspects of the business.
- Can work thematically: address interdisciplinary problems, function effectively and efficiently in a variety of roles in a multidisciplinary and/or international team.
- Can communicate effectively and convincingly with a public of colleagues and others.
- Can detect, monitor and judge important evolutions and innovations within the specialization and the broader field in complex business contexts.
- Acknowledges the importance of lifelong learning and the necessity of continuous education.
- Specifieke lerarenopleiding economie (Brussel)
- Specifieke lerarenopleiding economie (Antwerpen)
- Specifieke lerarenopleiding economie (Leuven)
- Master of Economics (Leuven)
- Master in de economische wetenschappen (Leuven)
- Master in de toegepaste economische wetenschappen (Leuven)
- Master of Business Economics (Leuven)
- Master in de verzekeringen (Leuven)
- Master in het informatiemanagement (Leuven)
- Master in de accountancy en het revisoraat (Leuven)
- Master of Information Management (Leuven)
- Master in het vennootschapsrecht (Brussel)
- Master of Business Administration (Brussels) - combi (this program is not offered this academic year)
Access after preparatory, bridging or abridged program:
- Master in de toegepaste economische wetenschappen: handelsingenieur (Leuven), after taking Voorbereidingsprogramma: Master in de toegepaste economische wetenschappen: handelsingenieur / Master of Business Engineering (voor masters in de handelswetenschappen / Masters of Business Administration) (Leuven)
- Master of Business Engineering (Leuven), after taking Voorbereidingsprogramma: Master in de toegepaste economische wetenschappen: handelsingenieur / Master of Business Engineering (voor masters in de handelswetenschappen / Masters of Business Administration) (Leuven)
- Master in de toegepaste economische wetenschappen: handelsingenieur in de beleidsinformatica (Leuven), after taking Voorbereidingsprogramma: Master in de toegepaste economische wetenschappen: handelsingenieur in de beleidsinformatica / Master of Business and Information Systems Engineering (voor masters in de handelswetenschappen / Masters of Business Administration) (Leuven)
- Master in de economie, het recht en de bedrijfskunde (Leuven), after taking Voorbereidingsprogramma: Master in de economie, het recht en de bedrijfskunde (voor (bedrijfs)economische vooropleidingen) (Leuven)
- Master in het overheidsmanagement en -beleid (Leuven), after taking Voorbereidingsprogramma: Master in het overheidsmanagement en -beleid (Leuven)
- Master in het toerisme (Leuven e.a.), after taking Voorbereidingsprogramma (12 sp.): Master in het toerisme (Leuven)
- Master in de vergelijkende en internationale politiek (Leuven), after taking Voorbereidingsprogramma Master in de vergelijkende en internationale politiek (Leuven)
- Master in het vertalen (Antwerpen), after taking Voorbereidingsprogramma: Master in het vertalen (Antwerpen)
- Master in het Vertalen (2 opties) (Antwerpen), after taking Voorbereidingsprogramma: Master in het vertalen (Antwerpen)
- Master in de meertalige communicatie (Antwerpen), after taking Voorbereidingsprogramma: Master in de meertalige communicatie (Antwerpen)
- Master in de meertalige communicatie (2 opties) (Antwerpen), after taking Voorbereidingsprogramma: Master in de meertalige communicatie (Antwerpen)
- Master in het Vertalen (2 opties) (Antwerpen), after taking Voorbereidingsprogramma: Master in het vertalen (2 opties) (Antwerpen)
This school offers programs in:
Last updated December 16, 2017