Application deadline update
- Non-EU/EEA students: 1 May (the original deadline of 1 April has been extended due to COVID-19)
- EU/EEA students and students who do not need a study visa/residence permit through VU Amsterdam*: 1 June (the original deadline of 1 May has been extended due to COVID-19)
How do you formulate and implement a business strategy that keeps you competitive in a dynamic market? What does it take to strategically engage with other organisations – including competitors, consumers and NGOs? What are the components of a strategy that not only ensures financial success, but also sustainable and socially responsible business practises?
If you're curious about the answers to these questions, then you’re the right fit for the Strategy & Organisation Master’s programme. You’ll learn to manage strategic and organisational challenges and develop profound skills in analytics, reflexivity and critical thinking. You’ll gain the skills to act responsibly and with foresight in complex and dynamic environments. In short, you’ll learn what it takes to not only develop the strategies that succeed, but also how to bring them to life within complex organisations looking to you to solve their real-life challenges.
This is what you will be doing
The Strategy & Organisation Master’s from VU Amsterdam will teach you how to develop and design competitive strategies and how to put them into practice. After two core courses, you can choose one of two study tracks. One related to rethinking relationships with competitors, the other related to stakeholder demand for improved Corporate Social Responsibility.
To break it down:
- You’ll take two mandatory courses:
- Growth Strategies & Organisational Challenges – Learn about contemporary growth challenges in mature and emerging markets.
- Strategic Entrepreneurship & Organisational Renewal – Study how companies can continuously reinvent themselves to remain competitive.
- You’ll take three elective courses in periods 2 and 3; at least two of the following four courses:
- Alliances, Mergers and Networks – Discover key challenges companies face in successfully managing strategic alliances, mergers and acquisitions.
- Strategic Corporate Social Responsibility – Gain profound knowledge on important CSR themes, and why and how companies apply them.
- Business Ecosystems and Open Innovation – Learn how companies manage innovation, and how they deal with technological and market disruptions.
- Multi-Stakeholder Management – Explore complex societal problems from the perspective of various stakeholders.
- You’ll also take a course in Business Ethics - Learn ethics philosophies and how they relate to business strategy and organisation.
- In your second semester, you’ll learn academic research skills and put them straight into practise by writing your Master’s thesis.
- Whatever your personal career ambitions, you can tailor your Master’s programme. Select from 12 electives and three different types of internships to customise your Master’s. Choose to specialise in Strategy & Organisation or generalise with other BA courses from Human Resource Management, International Management, Leadership & Change Management or Management Consulting.
About the School
Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam is an internationally renowned research university founded in 1880. The university offers over 150 English taught programmes at Bachelor’s, Master’s and PhD level to 23,00 ... Read More