Application deadline update
- Non-EU/EEA students: 1 May (the original deadline of 1 April has been extended due to COVID-19)
- EU/EEA students and students who do not need a study visa/residence permit through VU Amsterdam*: 1 June (the original deadline of 1 May has been extended due to COVID-19)
Today’s business environment calls for clear financial insight and assured decision-making. Effective capital investments and financing are the lifeblood of every organization. The Master’s in Financial Management at VU Amsterdam equips you with the comprehensive knowledge and thorough understanding you need to manage the flow of funds, from raising and investing capital to accurate and efficient financial reporting.
Leading academics and senior experts from the industry will ensure that you get to grips with the three key areas of financial management – corporate finance, the financial sector and accounting – from the perspective of both non-financial corporates and financial institutions. If you have the drive and ambition to become a new-generation CFO, the Master’s in Financial Management is an ideal place to start.
This is what you will be doing
Financial Management is a specialization of the Business Administration Master’s programme at VU Amsterdam. It’s all about connecting a firm’s business operations with the financial markets and their institutions.
Whether your career takes you to the non-financial or financial sector, as a financial management professional you need a thorough understanding of how to make the right investment decisions, how to finance business operations, and how to manage and report on internal financial flows.
The Financial Management programme is structured with these three key elements in mind. The three central strands – Corporate Finance, the Financial Sector, and Accounting – run throughout the programme’s core and its fascinating range of electives.
Core courses: a rock-solid foundation
In addition to components designed to develop your professional knowledge and academic skills, the heart of the programme consists of five core courses that give you the best possible foundation in the field of Financial Management:
- Advanced Corporate Financial Management addresses the main functions of financial management
- Advanced Finance, Banking and Insurance analyses the external financial environment
- Financial Data Decision Analysis equips you with essential techniques to analyse complex financial management problems
- The Research Seminar gives you an invaluable opportunity to apply theory and techniques to practical problems and empirical academic research questions
- Advanced Financial Accounting provides you with a clear understanding of financial reporting as practised by today’s major multinationals.
Electives: room to explore and dive deeper
The flexible and wide-ranging nature of the programme gives you the freedom to explore all aspects of financial management or to pursue your interests and ambitions in a particular area.
Dive deeper into Corporate Finance by taking electives in corporate valuation, behavioural finance, and economics of payment systems.
Get to grips with the Financial Sector by focusing on institutional investments, bank management and real estate management.
Master the intricacies of Accounting with electives in advanced management accounting, management control, and information risk management.
Or explore aspects of all three areas with your own personal combination of electives.
No matter what choices you make, your knowledge will grow by leaps and bounds as you hone your academic skills and professional insight, and find your own way in the world of financial management.
About the School
Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam is an internationally renowned research university founded in 1880. The university offers over 150 English taught programmes at Bachelor’s, Master’s and PhD level to 23,00 ... Read More