Master of Business Administration
The Master of Business Administration (MBA) program from UCW will prepare you for leadership on the global stage. This program is accredited by ACBSP. You will take the most challenging situations in your stride, apply pragmatic solutions to problems you encounter and ultimately drive the success of an organization with your informed decision-making.
Why an MBA?
- Learn to construct strategic responses to business challenges and opportunities.
- Assess the ethical implications of business activities.
- Develop, implement and evaluate solutions to business problems.
- Formulate business decisions and systematic analysis that reflects critical thinking.
- Demonstrate effective skills to collaborate with diverse groups of people.
- Lead teams through the resolution of problems and completion of projects.
- Integrate personal values and perspectives into your problem-solving, taking responsibility for your decisions.
- Communicate ideas persuasively as a result of a thorough analysis of information.
- Gather, analyze and distribute information in a business context.
UCW brings together students from all over the world, which leads to an enhanced learning environment. Students not only learn from program leaders but from each other. Students present different insights into topics, depending on their culture and background.
Tier 1: Analytical Foundations
The Tier 1 courses are your entry to the MBA program. They establish the basic university skills of research and writing while providing you with a theoretical and practical basis for what follows in the program.
- Business Environment, Ethics & Strategy
- Leadership in the Global Context
- Human Interfaces
- Research Methodologies & Inquiry
Tier 2 Management Principles & Practices
The Tier 2 courses begin to explore the functional areas of organizational operations. These courses expect a more advanced level of study than do Tier 1.
- Managerial Accounting
- Human Resource Management in the Global Environment or Canadian Human Resource Management
- Marketing Management
- Operations Management
Prerequisites: Completion of Tier 1
Tier 3 Business Applications
The Tier 3 courses will give you the depth of knowledge necessary to make you a qualified practitioner in the field.
- Financial Management
- Consulting Practice
- Project Management
- Two electives
- Tier 3 MBA students are also required to take two electives from the Tier 3 elective pool.
Tier 4 Integration & Implementation
- Consulting/Research Project or Strategic Management
- One elective
- Tier 4 MBA students are also required to take one elective from the Tier 4 elective pool.
You now have a choice. You can select electives from different tier elective pools as you progress through your degree program. You can select three electives from one of the elective clusters in Marketing, Finance or Leadership, to gain specialized skills and knowledge. Currently, the following elective courses are available:
- Change Management
- Leadership and Decision Making
- Digital Marketing Strategy
- Marketing Promotion
- International Marketing
- Investment Analysis and Management
- Personal Financial Planning
- Global Financial Institutions Management
Our faculty are experienced in both education and industry – professionals who have excelled in their field – and who use this to your advantage. They will provide you with case studies, a context for your study, even stories about their time on the job – anything and everything that will give you a more complete understanding of the industry you wish to enter.
Our faculty are superb teachers who are able to nurture new talent by developing strong relationships with their students, and proficient in real-world applications.
They are more than teachers: they also have extensive first-hand experience in business and maintain strong ties to Canada’s leading companies in order to provide you with real-time insight.
At UCW, we pledge to support you every step of the way with student services staff who will answer any questions you may have. They’ll provide you with resume advice and even help you prepare for job interviews.
Through Student Services, students can access:
- Writing and Numeracy Coaches
- Academic Advising
- Campus Information Sessions
- Workshops and Seminars
- Student Life and Student Committee Events, such as holiday parties, end of term socials, movie nights, and much more.
A Bachelor’s degree from a recognized university, with a cumulative GPA of 3.00 out of 4.33 scale (or equivalent) or better and
Have one of the following:
- Acceptable score on a Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT) or the Graduate Record Examinations (GRE) that has been written in the last five years.
- An appropriate Canadian professional designation or equivalent international designation (e.g. CPA, CA, CGA, CMA, CHRP or P. Eng.).
- A Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration (BBA) or Commerce (BComm) or equivalent.
- A minimum of two (2) years documented professional or management experience.
- Applicants who do not hold all of the above academic and professional requirements may also qualify for entry to the MBA Program after completing the MBA Foundation program.
- English is the language of instruction at University Canada West. If your first language is not English, you must submit proof of English Proficiency such as an academic IELTS score of 6.5 or better with a minimum of 6.0 in the writing band, or equivalent.
Duration and fees
- Start dates: Fall (October), Winter (January), Spring (April), Summer (July)
- Duration: Two years
- Winter, Spring, Summer 2019
- $23,400* (Domestic)
- $35,100 (International)
Program taught in: