This Master’s Degree program in Business Administration is designed to provide the skills knowledge and abilities necessary in the area of Accounting. This major is geared towards the fundamental characteristics of an accounting manager providing emphasis in the accounting skills and knowledge required in today's constantly changing economy. In addition, it will provide knowledge on the use of technology to communicate and handle information, and it will develop and enhance the communication skills and the management capabilities of each person.
The standard Master’s Degree in Business Administration (MBA) provides the general technical knowledge in specific areas such as Accounting, Finance, Human Resources, and Marketing. However, it lacks on the specific technical knowledge necessary in the accounting area for the application and execution of techniques, tools, and procedures at all technical levels. It will allow the development of professional leaders and managers the accounting knowledge that will efficiently operate in the managerial and accounting area. The MBA in Accounting will provide the accounting knowledge with a special interest in the areas and application of technology, innovation, management, the global economy and international affairs, among others.
The MBA in Accounting will offer courses in Finance, Management, Accounting, Marketing, and other general management functions with a more detail and specific focus or vision. The students in this program will be able to work in current and new business focusing on the local economy as well as into the international and global economy. In addition, this program will allow the students to utilize the current technology at different management levels and teach them to apply the accounting techniques to be successful in the current dynamic and multicultural economy. Finally, the students will learn to apply new technology tools that affect the local and global economy and influence the behavior of the human resources and industries.
Program Objectives/ Outcomes
- To provide a course of study consistent with the needs of the industry
- To provide the knowledge of the accounting theories
- To provide the understanding of the processes of accounting and the use of computers.
- To stimulate a positive attitude toward education, strengthening the concept of education as an on-going process
- To promote participation in community affairs
- To develop among students good interpersonal and communication skills
- To provide workshops in management techniques, marketing, accounting, and computers
- Core/Professional Courses 24
- Major Courses 11
- Elective Courses 3
- ACCO 500-O Accounting Survey 3
This course is recommended for those students who do not possess a background in business administration although this course is worth 3 credit hours; they are not counted towards the total amount of credits for the degree (38 credit hours).
Core Component (24 Credits)
- HURE 501-OHuman Capital Management 3
- MANA 505-O Management Information Systems 3
- MANA 600-O Business Policy and Ethics 3
- MANA 720-O Operations and Production Management 3
- ACCO 503-O Managerial and Financial Accounting 3
- ECON 519-O Managerial Economics 3
- MARK 511-O Marketing Management 3
- STAT 556-O Applied Managerial Statistics 3
Major Courses (11 Credits)
- ACCO 615-O Corporate Financial Reporting: Operations 3
- ACCO 616-O Corporate Financial Reporting: Financial Transactions 3
- ACCO 711-O Contemporary Assurances and Audit Services 3
- ACCO 720-O Accounting Capstone 2
Elective Courses (3 Credits)
- FINA 670-ORisk and Insurance 3
Total Number of Credits 38
*Language skills in English and Spanish will be assessed with a placement test. Additional language courses may be needed according to the student’s scores in placement tests. If students qualify for Preparatory Language Courses or Developmental Language Courses, they must enroll in the courses immediately to increase academic performance in the language. Students must comply with state and local agencies certification requirements for the degree and licenses as applicable.
This school offers programs in:
Last updated March 1, 2018