The International MBA programme combines rigorous academic modules with a wide range of professional development activities aimed at fostering your managerial and leadership capabilities. It does this within a unique environment that blends Chinese and Western cultures.
Whether you are based in China, the UK, or elsewhere, the IMBA is an international passport that will give you an edge in the world’s largest and most competitive markets.
Graduates of this programme, as with all XJTLU masters degrees, earn a University of Liverpool degree that is recognised by the Chinese Ministry of Education.
International Business School Suzhou (IBSS) is one of an elite group of institutions worldwide to be accredited by the AACSB (Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business) and EQUIS (European Quality Improvement System）in 2016 and 2018 respectively.
AACSB accreditation is a globally recognised standard for the highest quality in business education. Only five per cent of business schools worldwide have been awarded the accreditation.
The EQUIS accreditation is a quality certification system for business schools set up by the EFMD (European Foundation for Management Development). It has become the most global authoritative and select business school certification body in the world with its comprehensive and rigorous review process. IBSS becomes the youngest business school in the world to have received both EQUIS and AACSB accreditation. There are only less than 100 business schools that have received both AACSB and EQUIS accreditation. This is an important milestone in becoming a world-class business school and highlights the strength and significant influence of IBSS at the international level.
Unique selling points
The IMBA’s flexibility and diversity make it a perfect fit for managers from international and Chinese companies as well as those in the public sector. This will help you develop leadership and professional skills and management knowledge while, at the same time, connecting you to a well-established and powerful network of professional relationships that includes the alumni of the prestigious University of Liverpool Management School. The flexibility of our IMBA also means that you can enjoy all of these benefits whilst continuing in full-time employment.
Knowledge and skills
The International MBA programme will equip you with:
- A broad-based theoretical and practical understanding of modern management in a globalised environment
- A strong awareness of how the external environment, including political, economic, social and technological factors impacts on the modern organisation at a national and international level
- Skills in research to analyse and find solutions to problems facing both local and globalised companies
- Skills in critical thinking, analysis and problem-solving, as well as in report writing and making effective presentations
The IMBA programme is divided into four quarters, with core modules integrating key themes concerning management and leadership in an international context. These modules are accompanied by ongoing career development and leadership activities.
- Managing the economic context
- Managing financial resources
- The organisation in the strategic context
- Management of change and innovation
- International marketing
- Operations and supply chain management strategy
- Negotiating in the international environment
- Competing in the global marketplace
- Final individual project
Additional learning activities
Throughout the IMBA programme, traditional academic modules will alternate with seminars and meetings with key representatives from different industries and a range of other activities that provide an integrated and concrete learning environment with strong connections to the real world.
The experience is further enriched by simulations and case studies dealing with issues at the cutting-edge of today’s business. The IMBA programme’s online platform builds teamwork skills by enabling you to work smoothly with peers and share ideas and inspiration. In addition, you are supported throughout your programme by a team of online tutors accessible through this platform. All this will enable you to:
- Develop your skills and attributes as a manager and leader
- Meet and engage with like-minded peers and industry leaders
- Attend social events with alumni
- Participate in business simulations
- Join individual career development workshops.
- During your IMBA studies you will also attend the following additional learning activities:
- Business Communication skills
- Leadership Development
- Project Management
- Business Simulation
- Advanced Finance
- Research Methodology
You will access unrivalled China-based business connections thanks to our strategic location within Suzhou Industrial Park, home to many Fortune 500 companies within a community of nearly 5,000 Chinese and international enterprises. Internships, field projects and a dissertation will further develop your understanding of the fast-growing, critically important Chinese market. Upon successful graduation, you will become a part of the University of Liverpool's worldwide alumni network of over 100,000 based in 130 countries.
- The ideal candidate is a manager with eight years’ work experience, some of which should be in a managerial position, and an undergraduate degree (UK 2:1 or equivalent) in any discipline.
- North America: 3.0 Cumulative GPA (out of 4) or 3.2 Cumulative GPA in the final two years of your undergraduate programme
- Other regions: Equivalent academic qualifications
English language requirements
If English is not your native language or if you have not studied in English at degree level, you will need to provide evidence of your English proficiency. You should normally possess one of the following qualifications:
- IELTS: 6.5 (minimum of 5.5 in all sections)
- TOEFL iBT: 90 (minimum of 21 in any skill)
Program taught in: