The IMD MBA program is focused on leadership, entrepreneurship and social responsibility. You will work directly with a start-up company, as well as with CEOs and board-level executives of global companies.
IMD MBA Benefits
Top executives of leading multinational companies tell us clearly: they need leaders, not managers. The single aim of the IMD MBA is to develop these leaders.
The IMD MBA is:
- Highly intensive, challenging you to expand your limits
- Stimulating, for high-energy individuals with several years’ work experience
- International, to develop global business leaders
- Personalized, with a participant to Faculty ratio of 3:1
- Practical, so you benefit from IMD’s extensive real-world experience in executive education
- Creative, offering unique opportunities to build innovation capabilities
- Selective, so you are challenged by 89 exceptional colleagues
You will get:
A chance to understand and maximize your own leadership style
- Self awareness is critical for global leaders. You will develop an understanding of your individual leadership style and how to be effective in different situations. A Personal Development Elective offers further individual coaching with a trained analyst.
A personalized, accelerated general management education
- The IMD MBA helps you prepare to position yourself for a leadership role. It will challenge you to expand your limits and stimulate you to learn from the 600+ years of collective experience amongst your classmates.
A one year challenge in a small, high caliber international group
- Each year we limit our program to one class of 90 participants, carefully selected to make up a truly diverse group with complementary skills, nationalities and cultural backgrounds. We keep the class small because this kind of leadership development involves a high degree of personal attention and coaching.
A high return on investment
- IMD MBA graduates are highly sought-after, experienced executives whose average starting salaries consistently demonstrate their market value. Over 60 companies worldwide are involved in our on-campus recruiting process.
An immense global network
- At IMD you have access to over 60,000 alumni; over 8,000 executive education participants, and our Learning Network of over 180 companies. Our Faculty develop cutting edge research and programs that meet real world needs.
At IMD, we believe you learn best by building on your experience and putting your new skills and understanding into practice immediately.
The learning process
IMD’s “Real World. Real Learning” approach provides the foundation for the MBA program. The program, taught in English, covers the same amount of material as a traditional 2-year program and incorporates unique leadership experiences, start-up projects, building networks and intensive personal coaching. Your open-minded participation, frank interaction with your classmates, and exposure to international experts such as the Faculty and invited speakers will help you to realize your leadership potential.
Your classmates’ 600+ years of collective experience is a valuable resource. They bring specialist knowledge and insights from a wide variety of backgrounds which they are expected to share. Throughout the IMD MBA you work in small teams and are confronted with the need to cope with the cultural and personality differences that arise in a diverse, multinational group of people.
We believe case studies are excellent learning tools because there is no single, correct solution to complex business problems. The conflicting opinions that emerge promote enquiry, discovery and tolerance for other points of view.
The ability to communicate and convince is an essential skill for a leader. You will work in small groups to prepare and give presentations. This sharpens your ability to express ideas clearly and gives you valuable experience in defending collective decisions.
We believe in the importance of experiencing managerial situations and issues for long-term learning first-hand. The program relies extensively on unique leadership-building outdoor exercises, integrative simulations and real-life projects. The 10-day Discovery Expedition is an important element of the Leadership, Political Economy and Stakeholder Management components.
The evaluation process
You are evaluated on your performance in several areas: class participation, group work and projects, oral presentations and formal exams. Faculty provide regular personal feedback and in June, each participant’s readiness to move to the second phase of the IMD MBA is assessed objectively through formal examination.
The evaluation process is designed to help participants improve their performance and discover how their limits can be stretched, personally and professionally. At the end of the program, the MBA degree ‘With Honors’ is awarded to those participants whose cumulative performance throughout the program has been judged to be superior.
We look for the “right 90” candidates who have demonstrated the potential and desire to make a difference.
What you must have
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent from an accredited institution
GMAT (average score 670)
- Minimum three years full-time work experience (average is seven years)
- Strong command of written and spoken English (TOEFL not required)
- One language in addition to English
This school offers programs in: