Like most Executive MBAs, the "Executive MBA in Management of Technology-based Enterprise", known as the "MoT", provides 360° business management capabilities. But in addition, it has also the following goals:
- To develop and stimulate entrepreneurship and intrapreneurship competences
- To ensure success in innovation by fostering a multidisciplinary approach for the conception, production, and commercialization of new products or services
- To provide insights into the constraints and interactions within the technological, business, social and international environments
University graduates in Business/Humanities on one hand and in Engineering/Natural and Bio/Med Sciences on the other hand; people with professional experience (normally at least 5 years, unless already entrepreneurial), who wish to boost their career potential through a multidisciplinary approach, and who are especially motivated by entrepreneurship and the management of innovation projects.
(There is no need for participants to be familiar with technology. The program does not teach technology but rather the process to move a new idea, an innovation towards its financing and commercial deployment.)
A large number of participants are from abroad; the age ranges from late 20's to early 50's.
- Development of real business plans by multidisciplinary teams, for the launch of new ventures
- Study trip with enterprises visits and seminars in leading universities in China (+ India as an extension)
- 3 month strategic and innovative project performed within a company/new venture
- Possibility to maintain 60-80% of professional activities, while training takes place in Lausanne usually on Fridays and Saturdays
- High level and intensive program
- Two tracks:
- Entrepreneurship (creation of new companies)
- Intrapreneurship (creation of new activities within existing enterprises)
- Innovation related options in "High-Tech" and/or in Life Sciences" domains
- Networking opportunity in Management modules shared with other MBA programs offered by HEC
- The possibility of Certificate of Advanced Studies (CAS):
- in "Management of Biotech, Medtech & Pharma Ventures"
- or in "Doing Business in Asia"
Two facts are at the roots of the MoT program:
- Innovations with potential for the creation of new enterprises or of new activities in existing corporations are often not fully developed and deployed.
- The start-up of new enterprises or of new activities requires a team in which all members contribute their specialist expertise. However, in order for the team to be effective, everyone must also have competences in the other team members’ fields.
In particular, due to a lack of understanding or knowledge of the market and of the societal, cultural and international environment, innovation deployment strategies must be very wisely developed.
The teaching part of the program lasts 10 months, from September to early July, and most of it is part-time. It is followed by a 3 month strategic and innovative project in a company or a new venture. The "MoT" is a 90 ECTS (European Credit Transfer System) program. (You can download the Executive MBA in MoT Regulations 2012-13, 2013-14).
The program schedule is designed to enable participants to maintain 60-80% of their professional activity while attending training modules in Lausanne. These modules will usually be held at the end of the week: on Friday and Saturday during the day, except for the introduction module, which is held during the week. Readings and homework are to be expected between modules.
Upon successful completion of the exams that follow each major theme, and the presentation of the project work, an Executive MBA in "Management of Technology" - MoT will be conferred jointly by the University of Lausanne and the Ecole Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne – EPFL. When 4 modules or more are taken from the Innovation in Life Sciences bloc, it is also indicated on the degree, "Option Biotech, Medtech, and Pharma".
The program is jointly organized by the EPFL and the University of Lausanne, with the collaboration a top ranked Universities in Beijing and Bangalore. Support will also be provided by professors from other world-class Universities as well as innovative enterprises and start-ups at the Innovation Park at EPFL. The program also receives the support of numerous professionals in the industry, business, and politics. The program is taught in English.
The combined tuition for training in Lausanne and in China for the Executive MBA in MoT is CHF 35,000.- (subject to change). The extension to India for EMBA participants is CHF 2'500. A limited number of scholarships may be granted to applicants with a strong entrepreneurship project.
Travel costs to/ from China, about CHF 3-4,000, are not included. (For India, it is about CHF 2'000.)
Cost of living is estimated at a minimum of CHF. 2,000 per month in Switzerland.
Occasionally modules may take place off-site and imply accommodation costs.
(All participants are required to have health and accident insurance. Students may remain affiliated with their own insurance company provided it has a valid coverage for Switzerland and abroad).
Applicants holding a university degree in engineering/natural and bio/med sciences or business/law, or an equivalent degree, must provide a complete application package including a curriculum vitae, a university degree transcript, including grades, references and a personal letter explaining the candidate's motivation. Fluency in English is required.
≥ 5 years professional experience after the Master degree or 7 after the Bachelor degree; years spent while doing a Ph.D. are taken into account.
The admission to the "MoT", Executive MBA in Management of Technology, is decided upon submission of a complete candidature application and after an interview by a delegate of the MoT program.
Once accepted to the MoT, foreigners must apply in their home country for a student visa for Switzerland.
In Lausanne, all students will have to apply for a student visa for China.
This school offers programs in:
Last updated March 12, 2018