1. Partnership between Ateneo De Manila University and Regis University, a recognized Center for Adult Learning in Denver, Colorado, in the United States, entered into a Program Development and License Agreement in October 1997. Under the agreement, the two Jesuit institutions, through the Ateneo Graduate School of Business and Regis University’s International Studies Program and its Graduate School of Business, committed to develop an MBA program designed specifically for adult learners.
2. Student-Centered Learning
The program is student-centered rather than professor-dependent. Although the professor may still deliver lectures, his facilitation skills are essential to bring out the experiences of his adult students. For this reason, individuals undergo a faculty assessment process to determine qualification to teach in the Regis program.
3. Faculty Assessment Process
The assessment process includes a twenty-minute presentation on an assigned topic in a facilitative mode, an interview, a leaderless group activity, an essay on value-centered education, and a test on evaluating and grading student papers. The assessment process and the training of facilitators were designed by Regis University.
4. "Accelerated" Aspect
The program is commonly referred to as “accelerated” because each course is taken in an eight (8) week term, rather than the usual fifteen (15) week trimester. Although the number of weeks per term in less than in a trimester, the number of total class hours for a course varies only slightly.
The Ateneo-Regis MBA Program Curriculum
1. General Description
a. The Ateneo-Regis MBA Program is a non-thesis program designed for senior managers and executives whose corporate responsibilities limit their time for pursuing graduate degrees and are thus compelled to complete the program as quickly as possible through accelerated methods. The program is also designed for senior practitioners whose learning styles and outcomes are achieved through their own direct participation in learning activities without too much classroom interface.
b. Each term of the Ateneo-Regis MBA Program lasts for eight (8) weeks. Each course meet once a week for four (4) hours from 6:00 pm to 10:00 pm. The maximum number of students per class is twenty-five (25).
c. The regular load is one (1) subject per term, but a maximum of two (2) courses is allowed.
d. The program can be completed in two (2) years and two (2) terms if one (1) course is taken per term. If two (2) courses are taken per term, the program can be completed in fourteen (14) months, or one (1) year and one (1) term.
e. The Ateneo-Regis MBA Program consists of the following courses:
f. Each course has a detailed learning guide (module) for the entire course, as well as for every class meeting. The module serves as the road map for both the students and their professors. Each meeting has a well-defined goal and objective. The reading materials and cases for each session are provided prior to the start of the classes. Thus, on the first day of the class, students are expected to have read the reading assignments and to be ready for discussion.
2. Program Delivery: Facilitation and Student Participation
The curriculum for the Ateneo-Regis MBA Program includes analytical learning through time intensive courses designed specifically for working adults. The design of the courses recognizes that adults learn most effectively and most rapidly through a process of self-learning, bringing both life and work experiences that can be a learning resource for the other students in the class.
Self-learning occurs before class so that each participant can contribute in a meaningful way to group discussions and be an effective resource in shared-learning. Shared-learning occurs in the classroom, where each participant learns from the life and professional experiences of others.
Each adult learner must be a participant, with the secondary responsibility for the learning of others through sharing. The principal responsibility of the facilitator is to assist in the learning process, not to teach the technical content of the course. The facilitator is a technical expert in the field and will answer questions beyond the competence of the participants, but the primary responsibility for learning belongs to the student. Ordinarily, the facilitator will not lecture for extended periods of time.
At first, students may feel they don’t have much experience they can share in the curricular area. However, as the course progresses most students are delighted to discover that they have more relevant experiences than they first thought.
The level of learning to meet the learning objectives of the courses is quite high. Students will need to think at the creating and evaluating levels. They operate at the evaluation level when they form judgments and assessments by combining their own medley of experiences and learning with disparate conflicting and complex facts. They operate at the creating level when they originate, integrate, and combine ideas into a product plan, or proposal that is new. They will find that all elements of these courses will focus on the learning outcome primarily at the creating and evaluating level.
To qualify for the Ateneo-Regis MBA Program, a Filipino applicant must have:
1. A bachelor's degree in any field from a recognized college or university
2. An official transcript of records from the college or university
3. A general undergraduate average of 85% or B or 2.0
4. Meaningful employment and work experience of at least five (5) years. Supervisory or managerial experience is required. Applicants without managerial experience but with more than five (5) years of significant work and professional experience may be admitted. Similarly, applicants with less than five (5) years work experience, but who are currently occupying a managerial position may also be admitted.
5. Satisfactory score in the entrance examination
6. Fully accomplished online application
7. Three (3) statements of qualification and recommendation
8. Interview as may be required by the Admission Committee for Appeals.
To qualify for the Ateneo-Regis MBA Program, in addition to the above-mentioned requirements, a foreign applicant must have:
1. Transcript of records or documents showing academic accomplishments from the country of origin, translated into English and authenticated by the Philippine Embassy or Philippine Consular Office in the country of origin
2. Certificate of degree of equivalency from the education ministry of the country of origin, where necessary and applicable
3. Working English proficiency, both oral and written, and where insufficient, be currently enrolled in an English proficiency course in the Philippines
4. Copy of passport
5. Approved student visa or if working in the Philippines, an employment permit issued by the Philippine government
6. Police clearance from the country of origin or from the Philippines if already having been in the country for at least sixty (60) days
7. Affidavit of support and financial capacity
8. Alien Certificate of Registration
9. Certificate of Employment
This school offers programs in:
Last updated September 10, 2017