Sobey Master of Business Administration
The Sobey School of Business brings together top-notch teaching, a diverse student body and first-class facilities in one dynamic and challenging Master of Business Administration Program. The Sobey School of Business has earned its rank among the top MBA schools by providing a solid academic foundation, applied learning opportunities, and an array of diverse electives. Students gain a deeper appreciation of the business context through a variety of student-to-business events. As an MBA student, you will be amazed by the strengths and competencies you will gain at every step in the program.
With a state-of-the-art teaching facility, world-class faculty, a network of high caliber classmates and a strong connection with the business community, the Sobey MBA Program provides a rich learning environment for students pursuing graduate business education. And because our students come to Sobey from varied backgrounds and with diverse needs, the Sobey School of Business offers a range of MBA program options that meet the requirements of various groups of individuals.
This program consists of 20 courses and normally takes 16-20 months of study. First-year courses include foundational work in Leadership, Business Statistics, Managerial Economics, Financial Reporting, Information Systems, and functional courses in Marketing, Finance and Operations. Most of the second year of the program consists of student-chosen electives and the completion of either an applied MBA Consulting Project or an academic research-based Masters Research Project.
This program is 20 courses in length and normally takes 4 years of part-time study to complete, with courses offered in the evenings or day-long and weekend sessions. Core courses include foundational work in Leadership, Business Statistics, Mangerial Economics, Financial Reporting, and Information Systems. Functional courses include Marketing, Finance and Operations. Then students move on to advanced-level course that largely consist of student-chosen electives, and the completion of either an applied MBA Consulting Project or an academic research-based Masters Research Project.
This program is designed for those students with a solid four-year undergraduate academic background in Business Administration or Commerce. The 12-month full-time, or 28-month part-time, program consists of 13 courses and includes required courses in Leadership, Strategy and Integration, with advanced electives in student-chosen areas of study. Students also complete either the MBA Consulting Project or Masters Research Project as part of the requirements of this program.
This program is 13 courses in length and is designed for students with a strong accounting background and working experience in that area. It combines the broad business skills of the MBA degree with the accounting expertise and professional skills of the Certified Management Accountant designation. Students typically have four or more years of experience prior to entering and, to be eligible, must have or be pursuing CMA designation. Designed for individuals who are working, courses are delivered through weekend classroom sessions. This design ensures individuals from areas other than metro Halifax can complete the program. After passing the CMA National Entrance Exam, the MBA-CMA Program could potentially be completed within 28 months.
Admission to the MBA program is competitive. Meeting minimum requirements does not guarantee admission to the program. The following are required for consideration for admission:
- Degree: A four-year undergraduate degree in any discipline with at least a "B" average. Official transcripts must be sent from each post-secondary institution attended by the applicant.
- GMAT: A satisfactory GMAT score (average in the last two years has been 600, with 550 usually as the minimum). We use GMAT to evaluate both quantitative and verbal skills. A minimum competency in both areas is expected. GMAT essay scores should not be below 5.0. GMAT score must be less than five years old.
- Work Experience: Full-time students are preferred to have at least two years of full-time, relevant post-degree experience. Co-op, internships and part-time experience will be given consideration. Part-time applicants are preferred to have at least four years of relevant post-degree experience. A resumé detailing work experience, duration in each position, nature of responsibilities and contribution made to the employer is required.
- Motivation and Leadership Potential: Through a combination of academic work, previous experience and extra-curricular activities, applicants must demonstrate a high level of motivation for success and leadership potential.
- English Language Proficiency: The MBA program is fast-paced with much reading, report writing and team work. Strong English language proficiency is important for success in the program. Students whose native language is not English must submit either a TOEFL score, a CanTest score or a IELTS score. For specific language requirements please refer to the International Applicants section.
- Those candidates seeking assistance in language training please refer to the International Applicants section for information on the Master of Business Adminstration Preparatory Program.
An example of fees for 2013 full-time domestic and landed immigrant students:
An example of fees for 2013 International students: