Master of Business Administration
Welcome, from the director...
Thank you for visiting our Web site to learn more about the MBA at Rockford University. I know that as you learn more about our program, you will find that it is a quality program that combines the best of theory and practice in a dynamic classroom setting.
Our program is intimate enough to provide personalized attention and course content that can be applied to your specific work situation. At the same time, the MBA at Rockford University is the only nationally accredited MBA program in the area that provides you the benefit of a bachelor's and master's level university campus facility, where you can attend all your classes without having to commute out of the area. We offer each required course at least twice a year so that classes are available when you need them.
I am so confident that you will find our program to your liking and consistent with your long-term educational goals that I invite you to try us out. While other MBA programs will not let you enroll in a class until after you have completed the entire application process, at Rockford University you can take all your prerequisites and up to four required courses before you complete the application process if you don’t require financial aid.
Explore the links on this page and please feel free to contact us if you have any questions about our program. I look forward to meeting you and having you contribute to the growing reputation of our program.
Jeff Fahrenwald, Director
MBA About the Program
Since the MBA's program's inception in 1981, over 400 people from a wide variety of professions and organizations have graduated from it. The MBA at Rockford University has continued to grow and prosper as it serves Rockford and the surrounding communities.
The MBA at Rockford University is designed for virtually anyone holding a 4-year undergraduate degree from an accredited institution. No particular academic background is required. The degree program consists of 12 three-hour classes (nine required and three electives), plus up to five prerequisites.
The philosophy of the MBA at Rockford University was determined after assessing the needs of the business community and evaluating how the program would best fit into the educational goals of Rockford University. The MBA program seeks to develop general managerial effectiveness for the person in, or aspiring to, middle or upper management in either a for-profit or not-for-profit organization.* The program covers a variety of functional areas such as accounting, economics, finance, management and marketing. The MBA at Rockford University has a balanced, application skill-based program, which emphasizes development of management competencies, with special emphasis on oral and written communication skills instead of being highly theoretical.
- Small, intimate classes (average 15 students per class).
- Tuition deferment available with employer reimbursement.
- Tuition discount for employees of public or not-for-profit organizations.
- Flexibility to enroll in up to three required, non-prerequisite courses, before applying to the program.
- Nationally and regionally accredited program.
- Advising, registration, and admission all conducted in Rockford .
- Cost competitive with area programs.
- Faculty with current practical experience in the subjects they teach.
- Quality students with business experiences enhance classroom interaction.
- Course work incorporates practical applications designed for current work situations.
- Classes designed to help students improve management skills.
- Course work collaboratively tailored to the class by faculty and students.
- One-on-one tutorials available.
- Oldest continuously operating MBA program in the Rockford area.
- Up-to-date classroom facilities designed to meet the needs of graduate students.
- An image in the community of a quality, strong, and educationally sound program.
- An advisory council of prominent business and organizational professionals who provide guidance and input for the program.
- An entire campus and its facilities available.
* Rockford University recognizes that local not-for-profits are invaluable in spurring community growth and development. While many for-profit organizations in the area do offer tuition assistance to their employees, most not-for-profits are unable to offer the same advantage. So, the MBA program at Rockford University offers a tuition discount for public and not-for-profit employees serving the Rock River Valley.
MBA Fee Schedule and Financial Aid
Office of Graduate Studies Fee Schedule
- Graduate application fee $50
- Tuition Fall 2014 - Spring 2015 $710 per credit hour
- Registration fee $50 per semester
- Credit by exam $150 per exam
- Graduation fee $115
- Transfer credit fee $20 per course
- Transcript (official) $5
There is a limited amount of financial aid that Rockford University offers to its MBA students.
Rockford University offers a part-time student grant voucher due each semester in the amount of $150 per credit hour for any student who meets all of the following criteria:
- Enrolled in six or fewer hours
- Not receiving any financial assistance from Rockford University
- Not receiving reimbursement from any outside sources
- In good academic standing
Discounts are available for organizations that have multiple students attending MBA classes and are willing to receive one invoice. For more information, contact the Graduate Studies Office at 815-226-4040.
Not-for-Profit Tuition Grant
The Rockford University MBA program offers a $250 per credit hour scholarship to employees of public and not-for-profit organizations desiring to take courses leading to an MBA. The discount is available only to those currently receiving less than 50 percent of the cost of tuition and applies to a maximum of two courses per semester.
Employee Reimbursement /Tuition Deferment Program
Rockford University will defer your tuition payment until after you have completed the semester to allow time for your employer to reimburse you. The program is limited to reimbursable tuition costs only; registration fees and textbook costs are not eligible for deferment, even though you may receive reimbursement for these costs. Please ask for a Tuition Deferment Form at the Office of Graduate Studies.