Master of Business Administration
Hawaii Pacific University
HPU's MBA Full-Time program provides ample opportunity for students to immerse themselves in a dynamic learning environment for two exciting years. For students without a business degree, this 24-month format makes it possible to complete the necessary prerequisites and transition directly into the MBA program. If you have already completed your undergraduate business degree or satisfied all of the prerequisites, you can shorten the two-year program to only 18 months.
The MBAprogram offers12 different concentrations which cover a full range of career possibilities in traditional and cutting-edge fields, and an optional internship solidifies your practical understanding. Concentrations include:
- Healthcare Management
- Human Resource Management
- Information Systems
- International Business
- Organizational Change and Development
- Travel Industry Management
MBA Program Objectives
The mission of the MBA Program at HPU is to provide an applied business education in a multi-cultural learning environment.Our program aims to improve decision making capabilities of our students by providing a functional business foundation and enhancing their analytical, communication, and technological skills.
Students who complete the Master of Business Administration will:
- Understand global and domestic economic concepts and their application to the business setting.
- Understand financial concepts and markets, the financial reporting system, and financial analysis.
- Identify customer needs and participate in the process of developing products and services to meet these needs.
- Understand production models, distribution systems, and their role in the value creation process.
- Appreciate the multicultural, political, environmental, legal, and regulatory setting of the organization.
- Possess a thorough understanding of business ethical situations, the laws regarding corporate governance, and the role of their personal integrity and values.
- Possess leadership skills, understand group and individual dynamics, and be able to work in teams.
- Appreciate the importance of ethnic, cultural, and gender diversity in the organization.
- Enhance verbal, written, and presentation communication skills.
- Have well-developed problem solving skills including the ability to analyze uncertain situations, utilize facts and evidence in drawing conclusions, apply decision making theories, and adapt and innovate in new settings.
- Understand information technologies as they influence the structure and processes of organizations and economies, and as they influence the roles and techniques of management.
- Understand the business as an integrated system; the relations between the functional areas; and long-range planning, implementation, and control.
Students who did not complete a baccalaureate degree in business within the past five years will be required to enroll in leveling courses before enrolling in graduate MBA courses. Leveling courses may be waived if the student can pass a competency test for that specific leveling course.
International students who do not speak English as their primary language must submit a TOEFL score that satisfies MBA admission requirements.
International applicants who are applying to on of HPU'smaster's degree are eligible to apply for the Trustee, Dean, and Kokua scholarships.
International applicants,who wish to apply for a master's program or graduate certificate must submit the following documents listed belowin addition to the general admissions requirements.
English translations must accompany all official university/college transcripts. Include transcripts from all universities attended as well as certified copies of "A" Level (or similar post secondary) examinations and/or certificate programs.
English Language Requirements
All non-native speakers of English may satisfy the Englishcompetency requirement by completing one (1) of the following:
- Graduate from acollege or university from the United States, United Kingdom, Canada, or Australia or;
- Earn a minimum TOEFL or IETLS score
- Enroll in an ESL program and completeLevel 112**
Statement of Financial Support
All applicants must submit the following two documents:
- An original or certified bank statement or letter showing that you, your sponsor, or guardian(s) have an account which provides sufficient funds to cover one year of study at HPU. See Cost of Living chart below for expected dollar amounts.
- If you have a sponsor, you must submit a completed and signed HPU Statement of Financial Sponsorship Form, please refer to the Cost of Living chart below. The amounts on the form are for 2010-2011, but the form may still be used.
Please submit a copy of the page within your passport that includes your personal information and your picture.
Graduate Student Expenses
For the 2012-13 academic year, full-time (9 credits/semester) student expenses for most programs are:
- Regular Tuition: $13,770
- Room & Board*: $12,482
- Other Expenses**: $3,285
*Room and Board Expenses are for off-campus housing
**Other Expenses include books, personal expenses, fees, and a student bus pass
This school offers programs in: