MBA Information & Knowledge Management
This Master’s specialization will provide you with a firm understanding of the challenges posed by the increasingly knowledge-intensive nature of organizing and developing business. It will help you appreciate the value of innovative organizational arrangements and emerging technologies in meeting these challenges. The field of information and knowledge management is by definition multidisciplinary. It involves insights and practices from Management Studies, Information Systems, Strategy, HRM, Marketing, Innovation, Technology, Psychology and Sociology. In the programme, you will focus on a broad range of information and knowledge processes, both internal and external to the organization.
The Master’s specialization in Information & Knowledge Management is a one-year programme. It is worth 60 credits and it is taught in English. Besides focusing on your own individual studies and attending lectures, you will work in small groups which take an active approach to writing and presenting projects, studying international real-life cases and conducting small-scale research. Each subject is assessed on the basis of individual examination scores and the results of the individual or group assignments. The programme promotes the development of your creative and analytical skills.
The programme is divided into six periods and consists of the following courses: E-business & Information Management, Knowledge and Innovation Networks, New Ways of Working. Specialization course: Interactive Marketing or an optional course from another specialization. Research seminar 1, Ethics, Research seminar 2. Specialization course: Interorganizational systems or Knowledge Management Scan. Specialization course: E-business development or Capita Selecta. Master’s Thesis. During the final phase of the programme, you will organize and conduct an independent scientific research project which will serve as the basis for your Master’s thesis.
The relevance of managing information and knowledge to improve organizational processes and develop business continues to grow. You will find yourself in the enviable position of being able to choose from a wide range of jobs at many kinds of companies. We have alumni working for organizations such as IBM, Accenture, KPMG, TNT, Deloitte, Quint Redwood Wellington, PWC, Ordina, CapGemini, LinkIT, ABN AMRO, Philips and eBay. Our graduates have gone on to take advantage of a wide variety of career opportunities. Some have become business consultants, IT consultants, business analysts, strategy consultants, project managers, marketing consultants or knowledge managers. Others have successfully started their own businesses. A significant number of graduates have gone on to obtain a PhD and embark on an academic career.
Admission requirements Master's programme Business Administration
- Applicants who have gained a Bachelor's degree in Business Administration, Economics or Econometrics and Operations Research at VU University Amsterdam are admitted automatically to the Master's programme
- Applicants with at least a Bachelor's degree from another accredited university are admissible if they have a specialization in Business Administration, witnessed by thorough knowledge of the standard literature described below (or its equivalent)
- Applicants with at least a VU Bachelor's degree in other specializations can be admitted to the master, but depending on their degree they will be required to take extra courses with a minimum of 30 credits. In that case their programme will take at least a year and a half
Standard literature: according to the specialization of their choice students are assumed to be thoroughly familiar with:
- Information Technology
- Knowledge Management
- Strategy/Strategic Management
- Management and Organisation
Last updated December 2, 2015