The Durham MBA is designed to help you transform into a world-class business leader. By choosing to study an MBA at Durham you will have the opportunity to develop your strategic, analytical and critical thinking by applying theoretical concepts to global business situations, as well as enhance your capabilities for leading and managing people.
Personalise your route
Our all-new MBA programme includes a combination of core modules and specialist routes, giving you the opportunity to develop your knowledge, skills and capabilities and specialise in specific areas that are most suited to your own professional needs.
The Entrepreneurship route is designed to provide you with the knowledge, skills and capability of management and corporate entrepreneurship, including the ability to create your own new business venture. You will also have the opportunity to attend master classes run by industry experts, as well as receive one to one mentoring from experts in the industry.
This route will enable you to build your consultancy capability by critically examining the complexities of managing projects in a business context including planning, monitoring, quality control and closure. You will explore the intricacies of leadership, culture, change and motivation of project teams. Including the project management frameworks of PRINCE2®, PMBOK® and AGILE®. You will also have the opportunity to work within a company where you can put your knowledge and theory into practice.
You will study the following core modules:
- Accounting and Finance
- Economics for Global Business
- Leading and Managing People
- Operations and Technology
- Strategic Management
- Sustainability, Ethics and Change.
Route-specific modules include:
- Management Consultancy
- Project Management.
- New Venture Creation.
Each route also benefits from the Boardroom activity, which is one of the most challenging but rewarding aspects of our MBA. The module is a real-life simulation of a boardroom and will give you the opportunity to apply the concepts and theories learnt during the core modules to a real board-level management team in an international organisation. This will allow you to enhance your analytical, critical thinking and strategic management skills and will also give you the opportunity to network with a number of different business professionals to develop key business relationships.
Strategic Business Project
Throughout your study, you will source, research and then produce a detailed report on a business project you have undertaken at an organisation of your choice. This consultancy exercise will give you the opportunity to analyse and evaluate tangible business issues and apply the knowledge you have acquired in the classroom.
Our MBA programme will give you the opportunity to visit an international business overseas. In addition to attending language classes throughout the year, you will visit leading international companies where you will test and examine academic business approaches in global companies and gain an appreciation of the complex nature of the different dimensions of business. This will help you to appreciate the challenges of global business and also give you the opportunity to apply your new language skills into practice.
Business Development or Internship
When you study via the 15-month route, you then have the choice to either explore a new industry/role, or accelerate your career through an internship or concentrate on business development for setting up your own business.
What do I need to apply?
- At least three years’ continuous post-graduation work experience in positions demonstrating a high degree of responsibility.
- Upper Second Class Bachelor Degree, or international equivalent
- Lack of formal qualifications is not necessarily a barrier to admission; managerial experience is also a key consideration for entry to our Full-time MBA programme. In such cases, we may ask you to submit a portfolio of evidence demonstrating capability in areas such as your management experience, including critical thinking skills and communication skills. Alternatively you may be required to provide a well-balanced GMAT score of a minimum of 600 (Durham GMAT code: BBB-W0-80).
- IELTS of 7.0 or above in IELTS with no element below 6.0, or 102 or above in TOEFL IBT with no element below 23. Please note TOEFL is not accepted for those who require a student visa.
This school offers programs in:
Last updated October 18, 2015